Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg SVT-CL VS. Mesa Boogie 400+

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by peasandpotatoes, Mar 20, 2005.

1. Which one should i go with... i think they both would be pretty good. Opinions? I would either be running on top of a Ampeg 810E or a Mesa 8x10 Roadready.

2. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Just for the cab, I'd go with Mesa. Both heads are good, but you have to choose your own sound. However, I can almost guarentee that the Mesa 810 is better than the Ampeg 810.

3. Strap on a blindfold and pick the sound you like best. You will not regret it.

4. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Good luck with a RR 810. I heard they only make a few a year/half year?
    I honestly think a Mesa 410 is enough, but if you must go 810, i'd say the Mesa. But this is your rig, so it's up to you. Same goes for the amp.

5. Any personal opinions on either of these amps? Any bad experiences? Reliability? What kind of sound? I play new age rock/ experimental stuff. (Glassjaw/ AFI/ Thursday/ Thrice)

6. Hurley

Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    Glassjaw...... SVT-2 and Ampeg 8x10
    AFI............. SVT-2 and Ampeg 8x10
    Thursday..... SVT-2 and Ampeg 8x10 (400+ as backup)
    Thrice......... SVT-CL and Ampeg 8x10 (SVT-2 as backup)

Those are the live rigs, AFAIK. Check their sites.

I love my Ampeg, but I've no doubt that the Mesa cab is really sweet. As always, try 'em both (if you can even find the Mesa.) The price would make it an easy decision for me, though. (Maybe the weight too... it's hard to believe anything can weigh more than the Ampeg!)

I had my 400+ for a little more than a year, and it never let me down over a few months of heavy use. I'm into the same music you listed, and I was able to get great tones with both fingerstyle and pick. However, I recently sold the Boogie and I'm saving up for - what else - an SVT. :D

7. SVT-II or SVT-2pro? Yea and i believe the dood from glassjaw uses a Mesa/ Boogie 400+ with a Boogie 8x10... Look at the video for cosmopolitian bloodloss. But none the less, how do u think the 400+ would compare to an SVT?

8. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    The 400+'s are generally cleaner. They're still warm and all though. I've heard they're better at staying clean at high volumes as well. They can still get nice and gritty when you try though. Thick, yet smooth o/d.

Both are nice amps. I find (I got to play one :D) the 400+ more versatile than the SVT. It's like and SVT is that classic rock sound, whilst it can do other things, it doesn't really do them great. But the rock thing is what the ampeg does. The Mesa can do that, not as well, but i find it can do other things better as well.

Up to you really.

9. Hurley

Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    I don't remember the video, but you're probably right. My info was from the issue of BP from a few months back (well after the video - I think it was the "synth bass" issue) that had a feature on the new guy. I'm pretty sure his last live rig was Ampeg. Too bad I can't see them to let you know. :crying:

As for the SVT vs. 400+, there are plenty of threads around here that can describe the differences better than I can. SVT = agressive, Mesa = booty. Both will work just fine for the music you want to play. Also, keep in mind the differences between the SVT-CL/-2/-2 Pro and the old SVT.

10. Hurley 000 Were you saying the bassists from thursday, afi, and glassjaw all use the svt-ii or the svt-2pro?

11. toby

toby

Feb 10, 2005
    SF Bay Area
    Hey dont forget the aguilar gs 412. I havnt played the mesa 8x10, but I did demo the Ampeg and Aguilar together and I thought the aggy killed it a hundred times over in terms of sound and portability. Im playing with 2 guitars and loud drummer a-la grungey kind of stuff and I wouldnt trade my aggy cab for an ampeg one even if you paid me!
    It cant hurt to be running a db359 through it either! But it still sounded awesome using my gkrb700II head.
    Good luck

12. Hurley

Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    All of them use the SVT-2 Pros except the guy from Thursday. I got this from the websites and a few magazine interviews. I've seen most of them live, but I can't remember exactly what was used.

13. cool man... so does neone know nething about the big muff distortion pedal when it is used on bass? the russian one not the american one...

14. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    WA...
    I have a early SVT CL [#66 actually], I got it in 98 "new" which means it was a floor model at GC for at least five years; so who knows how many people played through it and abused the thing before I bought it. About five years ago one of the tubes died and amp overheated [in the middle of a recording session I might add], I so it had to be repaired and re-tubed, which ran a little over $400. Sense then I have had no problems with the amp.

While My amp was in the shop I used my old Alembic FX-1 with a MESA Baron M180 power amp to finish the session.

If you want to here the difference, just click on the link in my sig: "chain of fools" was the Alembic / MESA, everything else is the SVT CL, both are run through a musicman 2X12 cab and and recorded with a mic.

15. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    That must have sounded amazing... for a while I ran my Kern into a Boogie M-180 and it sounded phenomenal. I believe the Baron was a slightly-modified version of the M-180 that caught on with hi-fi audio buffs, though not sure what the specific differences were. I now use a Bass 400+ among others and am very pleased.