1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg SVT-CL vs. SVT-CL Heritage

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mook, Dec 17, 2011.

1. Mook

Mook

Jun 19, 2002
    What's the difference between these? They seem the same (except for cosmetics). The controls are all the same.

The Ampeg website lists the Heritage version as having "upgraded components"......if so, how much of an "upgrade" is it? I understand it's made in the US as opposed to Asia, too, but I don't see much of a difference.....

Too bad it's not hard/hand wired like the B15N.......

Mook

2. Tim1

Tim1

Sep 9, 2005
    New Zealand
    Plenty of posts on this if you search :)

3. Mook

Mook

Jun 19, 2002
    acutally, I have searched.....couldn't find. If you know of a URL/Thread, can u post on this thread, please.

Mookie

4. AdamR

AdamR

Sep 24, 2007
    Bethel CT
  5. SactoBass

SactoBass A retired civil engineer who likes all-tube amps! Supporting Member

I don't have any useful info to offer on the SVT Heritage as I have never played through one. I've had an SVT-CL and I thought it was very average sounding. I've also had an SVT-VR (US made) and it was a friggin tone monster! IMO, the VR sounded extremely better than the CL.

All IMO of course.

6. Mook

Mook

Jun 19, 2002
    Ah!!!! That was it! Yeah, the other search was useless. Good to know about the Google search for future use.

Thanks!

Mookie

7. JGR

JGR The "G" is for Gustav Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 29, 2006
    Maryland
    President, CEO, CFO, CIO, Chief Engineer, Technician, Janitor - Reiner Amplification
    I posted the details in another thread on the same topic. Per Ampeg, they upgraded the PC board with plated thru holes and the circuit layout for improved noise IIRC. They were using Winged C power tubes but went to JJ last year. They added t-nuts to the speaker mounting bolts.

Pretty minor changes that don't justify the price hike IMO considering what the SLM ones cost before Loud. I was hoping they went for US iron from someone like Heyboer, but they are the same trannies in the regular CL.

8. Mook

Mook

Jun 19, 2002
    I have the CL right now (have had it since 2003), and think it's pretty damn good. What makes the VR version different? I understand it's more 70's like, but can u give a better comparison? Also, is it made in Asia as the CL is, as well?

Mook

9. JGR

JGR The "G" is for Gustav Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 29, 2006
    Maryland
    President, CEO, CFO, CIO, Chief Engineer, Technician, Janitor - Reiner Amplification
    I've had two USA CLs and a USA VR, and I actually preferred the CLs, go figure.

10. It's all just personal preference, some like the VR some like the CL better.

11. Tim1

Tim1

Sep 9, 2005
    New Zealand
    Yep, I sent my CL back and got a VR with which I am much happier. All down to taste.

12. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Don't know about you, but I wouldn't want to pay $6000 for an SVT ;)

13. kimmyt

kimmyt Supporting Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Gilroy, CA
    Me either, but I did work a deal yesterday and have a brand new Heritage SVTCL Amp shipping on Tuesday Fed Ex. Ground to my door for..... ready for this..... $1559.99. Can't believe I got this good of a deal. It is shipping from one of the big on line music dealers. Seriously couldn't pass this up, when everyone else is selling them for $2399.00. $840.00 off the going price, 35% off Ampeg, really... This is not "B" Stock or refurbished. Cheaper then the standard SVTCL. Once I actually receive the amp if anyone is interested in how I got this price and from where I will let you know. Also, I may be in the market to sell my brand new Traynor YBA300 once I get the Ampeg. Please PM me if you are interested, I haven't listed it yet but may next week.

14. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Wow, that's a deal! Enjoy!

15. A Christmas miracle! Congratulations and yes I'm a bit jealous ... :D

16. Coelho

Coelho

May 10, 2006
    Astoria, NY
    Just got Heritage SVT-CL. Head and cab. Should be here on Wednesday. That should give me plenty of time to exercise and build more muscle.

17. I had a Heritage CL; sent it back: wish I hadn't.

If you can make much sense of that, you're a better man than I .....

Gibraltaar likes this.
  18. kimmyt

kimmyt Supporting Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Gilroy, CA
    Got the amp today, I love this thing, looks, tone and for some reason doesn't seem as heavy as the Fender Pro 300 I had for a while.

19. Great deal. Just an FYI for others in the market as they are selling the Heritage SVT for $1764.00 on Amazon. Amazon also has the Heritage 810E cab for $867.12.