Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg SVT CL with Aguilar two GS 112?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BassGreaser, Jan 9, 2003.

1. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    what do you guys think of this rig? do you think it would be a good match? I'm looking for more of an edgie sound, but with great low end. this is basically going to be my rock/old school rig. I want to keep the cabs small as possible, plus I like 12s.

2. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    There is no doubt that the rig would sound amazing! I can't remember the dimensions, but the head may be wider than the cabs. It would look a bit odd, but aside from that, it would sound sweet!

3. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    What are your reasons for the rig sounding good? Is it, a good mox of tubes and 12s?

4. monkfill

monkfill

Jan 1, 2003
    Kansas City
    I'm not sure that "rock/old school" and "small cabinets" go together. . .

5. I hate to say this, but I use a rig very similar to that, and I'm not happy with it. I have an Ampeg SVT II pro, with an SWR Son of Bertha (115), and an Aguilar GS 112. It's just not loud enough. I'm convinced that an all tube SVT needs bigger cabinets to sound great. I'm a huge fan of 112s, so rather than getting new cabinets, I'm gonna get a new amp.

6. monkfill

monkfill

Jan 1, 2003
    Kansas City
    Yeah, I think the SVT and the 8x10 cab were designed for each other. Every SVT I've ever seen has been sitting on top of an 8x10 cabinet.

This doesn't mean you won't get a good sound in another configuration, but I don't think you'll get *the* SVT sound.

7. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    interesting points.......I'm diffently going to buy the SVT CL, and then try it out with alot of cabs til I find the ones I like. I already have my HiFi rig, (check profile). But it really doesn't work when you show up to try out for rock/punk bands with it. They all look at you weird:p

8. monkfill

monkfill

Jan 1, 2003
    Kansas City
    Someone posted in another thread that the SVT 610 HLF is worth a comparison to the 810.

As bad as it may sound, part of it is about the image. Like you said, showing up for a rock or punk band tryout. The CL and the 8x10 just look the part. Obviously it can back it up too, but the 6x10 or even a 4x10 may work quite well. I went with the 8x10, because I knew the 4x10 would be too small for what I was looking for, there wasn't a 6x10 on hand for me to try out, and the 8x10 really isn't as big as you would think. It has the built-in handle and wheels, sort of a built in dolly. And it fits in the back seat of a Honda Civic. And if you have your hi-fi rig already, the lack of a tweeter in the 810 probably isn't an issue for you.

9. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    it just that a 8x10 is damn big and weigh way too much. I've played the CL through a 8x10 and a 6x10. I like the 8x10, but I like the 6x10 better, maybe cause of the ports, and isn't not so damn huge!!!

10. monkfill

monkfill

Jan 1, 2003
    Kansas City
    I believe the 610 has a tweeter that the 810 does not have, so I'm sure that makes a difference as well.

If we didn't have 2 SUVs and a van in the band, I probably would have thought twice about the 810. Even though it will fit in my car if it comes down to that, I don't plan on making my car its primary means of transport.

11. monkfill

monkfill

Jan 1, 2003
    Kansas City
    Does the 610 have the handle and wheels? Surely it does. . . but if it doesn't, I bet you'd have a harder time moving it than you would the 810. The reason I ask is because the photo on the Ampeg website shows the 610 having handles on the side that the 810 doesn't have.

12. In my opinion, the SVT CL is voiced to run through 8x10's or 4x15's. (they sound pretty good through 4x10's or 2x15's as well) The AG's are the low end (pricewise) of the new generation of full range studio monitor type bass cabs. These cabs are designed for hi-fi type amps like the AG, Eden, SWR, or combinations of pre/power-amps etc. etc that send a relatively flat uncolored signal to the cabs. Again, this is just my opinion. You may like what you hear and become the next Jaco using it......:D