Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg SVT CL with SWR´s Henry the 8x8" ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by grooVWy, Nov 4, 2005.

1. grooVWy

grooVWy

Apr 9, 2005
    spectacular
    I have SWR´s Henry the 8x8" cab. RMS 480W 4 Ohms.
    I´ve been wondering would that Ampegs CL head (300 tube Watts 2 or 4 Ohms) work with it or would it blow the speakers to nearest hill.
    What do you guys think ?
    Anyone around here that owns CL ?

I really enjoy this cab and wouldn´t wan´t to loose it,
    but I also want that tube sound.

.v

2. DerekP

DerekP

Jul 24, 2005
    Toronto, On
    i'm no expert but the swr 8x8 isnt exactly a low end monster, so watch your lows and your volume and you should be fine..sound wise i have no idea if that will be a good match.

3. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    It will probably blow them to the next hill if you want the meaty kind of tone youd get from an ampeg 8x10. If you want an incredibly punchy tone, then that is the way to go. Just add a Big Bertha 2x15 to it.

4. BassIan

BassIan Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2003
    Cupertino, California
    I beg to differ. I've heard and played through some Henries, and they are a very big, deep sounding cabinet. You must keep in mind that an 8x8 is not to be compare to an average 8x10. It's a lower-powered cabinet with smaller drivers! However, for *that* sound, some of the more original SWR sound still available, nothing beats it.

5. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA

+1!

What a henry is NOT is a "modern" sounding cab with lots of highs. Its got a big, fat tone that cuts through on stage really well. I did a gig on one with an SWR Bass 350 and it was kickin! My 4x10 with an SM-400S really suffered by comparison.

I think it would sound great with an SVT-CL. Hank can handle close to 500 watts, so you should be more than safe running the ampeg.

6. Thats what i was going to say, even if it "sounds" louder, it is still only 300 watts rms

7. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    I ahve a Henry 8x8. It is not thin sounding, it has tons of low end, look at the specs the cab is tuned to.

I've run an eden navigator---qsc/plx 1602 through it (bridged at 1600 watts) for quite some time, and have not had issues.
    *This does not mean it's ok to turn it all the way up, and start beating dub outta your B string!*
    But, when used responably, it handles that kind of headroom well. I've also put an eden wt800b, and TFB420 thru it, no probs.

8. Turlu

Turlu Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Ottawa, Ontario CANADA
    I tried the SVT-CL with my Yorkville XC808 ( 8X8 configuration as well ) and it simply rocks !

The Cabinet is rated at 800 watts and it goes really well with the Tube head STV-CL. Never tried the Henry 8X8 but I certainly get tons of low end with my Yorkville !

9. grooVWy

grooVWy

Apr 9, 2005
    spectacular
    I can tell you that this cab has lows to share. it goes all the way down to 35 Hz. and sounds sweet with both my 4 and 5 string axes.

.v

10. grooVWy

grooVWy

Apr 9, 2005
    spectacular
    I´m not too much into large speakers. 8"´s and 10"´s are fine, just have to have enough of them. ;)

-V

11. grooVWy

grooVWy

Apr 9, 2005
    spectacular
    Agreed. I used to play thru SWR Workingmans 4x10" before this cab and after change I was blown away. I am NOT going back. I´ve also played thru Ampeg´s 8x10", but it´s too large to carry around for me. (Maybe someday if I have roadcrew ;) )

-V

12. grooVWy

grooVWy

Apr 9, 2005
    spectacular
    Thanks. That was what I wanted to hear.
    I think I´ll have to give it a try.

-V

13. grooVWy

grooVWy

Apr 9, 2005
    spectacular
    cheers mate. This kind of things I wanted to hear.
    I know it´s great cab, but was bit unsure about it handling that tube wattage.

-V

14. grooVWy

grooVWy

Apr 9, 2005
    spectacular
    I´ve been looking that cab, but actually have never ever seen/heard anyone using Yourkville gear in Finland.
    (not that I´ve seen any other Henry´s in use either.)

-V

15. I don't know if this will help ypu but I use an Ampeg SVT Classic with a Goliath Sr( 6 X 10) and it sounds amazing!!! I think you should give it a try...

16. DerekP

DerekP

Jul 24, 2005
    Toronto, On
    when i was looking for new cabs, i tried the 8x8 with my yorkville 1200 watt power amp and my pearce bc-1 . with my old warwick corvette 5 string and it couldnt handle the low B the way i wanted it too and just sounded way to "tinny" but thats my opinion, i ended up going with the goliath 3 4ohm which i thought sounded much much better, and i plan to add a 2nd goliath 3 4ohm to run both at 2 ohms and get the full 1200 watts from my power amp.

17. grooVWy

grooVWy

Apr 9, 2005
    spectacular
    Good to hear. That gives me "hope" ...if U know what I mean.

.V

18. grooVWy

grooVWy

Apr 9, 2005
    spectacular
    Did you try Yorkville 8x8" or SWR 8x8" ?
    I love 8"´s. I have played all kinds of setups and it´s hard to convince me to something else. I´m not looking for new cab in this thread. I´m asking about opinions of those to above mentioned products might work together. (and comments from CL users.)

19. DerekP

DerekP

Jul 24, 2005
    Toronto, On
    both actually but i meant the swr, +1 on the goliath senior, amazing cab i wish my car could handle the height of it but it cant :(

20. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I've actually used the Henry the 8x8 with an Ampeg SVT CL on a backline-provided gig. Sounded great. Had no issues with the low end whatsoever.

BTW, speakers of all sizes are capable of doing many jobs. I've got an old Ampeg B-15 with a 15" speaker that's extremely bright and gets a great slap tone, and I've used 10's for years and never had a problem getting deep fat bottom. Yes, they are more suited to what their sizes suggest, but they can still put out plenty of uncharacteristic freq's if you build the cabinet right.