Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg SVT Classic 8x10 and 4x10 questions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ampeglb100, Apr 26, 2005.

1. ampeglb100

ampeglb100

Oct 1, 2002
    Portland, OR
    Hello-

I have used an 8x10 Classic for many years but in the past few I had to downsize a bit (went to only one car, a Honda). So, I went through a bunch of combinations for playing shows and ended up now with two 4x10 Classics (HE). Currently I have the 8x10 "planted" with one band and use the two 4x10's with another, but only haul around the 4x10's to shows. I now have a wagon, so I can haul an 8x10 but I was wondering:

Do the new 8x10's have the bulb thing wired in so when you feedback too much it lights up and squeals (not feedback, but and actual squealing noise)? My older 8x10 doesn't do that, so when you feedback it just feedsback. But these newer 4x10's have bulbs (and I don't use the horns) and it sucks because I use a Rat distortion pedal (sometimes) and I actually like getting some feedback. Anyways, I am seriously thinking of trading these 4x10's in and getting a new 8x10, but I thought I would check around about this issue first.

I know there is some debate, but from someone who has both setups with the exact same amp (SVT-3pro) and who is playing in two rock bands with drums and two guitars in rooms that are similar, I can tell you that two 4x10's does not really equal the 8x10 to my ears. Not to say it is "bad", but the low end on the 8x10 is tighter, a little more articulate overall, and a bit louder. The 4x10's seem to be less clear, plus they squeal and light up, which isn't really my thing. The sound is very close, closer than anything else that I have tried, but to me the 8x10 is really it as far as a 10" sealed cab design goes...

Thanks in advance,

Andy

2. i used the 8x10 classic and ampeg SVT-3 pro a coupla weeks ago, and the didn't have anything like that, and when the clip light came on on the amp, it was all good.

dunno if it is like this for all oif the 8x10s, but what i thought was really cool, was that you could just use 4 of the 8 10s! Means I can use my Trace with them, next time im in the studio. :bassist: