Ampeg SVT Classic Cab Options

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by pitt12fan34, Feb 12, 2018.

1. pitt12fan34

pitt12fan34

Aug 30, 2017
    Hey guys, I recently purchased an SVT CL. I have been using a Marshall MB450H with an 8x10. Since it's been so cold we've been practicing inside and I have been using a Marshall 1x15 instead. My question is would the SVT be too much for the little 1x15 (300w at 4ohms) or should I just use the 810 and keep the volume level down? If I understand correctly I can not use the dual mode to make the 8x10 into a 4x10 because I'd be running the 4ohm SVT into an 8ohm cab.

Thanks!

2. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    If the Marshall is making a flubbing mechanical distorted sound you are pushing it too hard. If you are not cranking the SVT up high, then you are not putting out full power. It really depends on your volume level and bass tone settings. More bass is like higher volume, you have to balance the two.

People do run their SVT’s with 8 ohm cabinets. There would be an impedance mismatch, a bit less power output. You can use the 810 split into two 8 ohm 410’s if you like the sound.

I’m tempted to say, just use the full 810 but it appears that you want speaker cabinet distortion in your sound.

3. pitt12fan34

pitt12fan34

Aug 30, 2017
    Yeah, I'm thinking I'll have to just use the full 8x10. The 1x15 wants to fart at me even with the 300w solid state head. I guess I'll just have watch the volume so I don't knock any pictures off the wall.

4. SVT's with an 8 10 are no problem at very low volumes. I have used mine playing with a couple of un-micd acoustic guitars with no problems. I have also used it with my band with guitars and drums through the P.A. and been told to turn it down.:thumbsup:

5. Searay

Searay

May 20, 2012
    The svt with an 810, to me is fine at low volume. I do think it blends quite well. Part of the magic of the setup is the space the cab breathes the notes combined with the quick powerful responsiveness of the head

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021