Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg SVT classic DI mod??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by el_Kabong, Aug 23, 2005.

1. el_Kabong

el_Kabong

Jul 11, 2005
    Has anyone modified the di on an ampeg svtcl head to be pre-eq rather than post? I like the onboard di but as they come they're post everything, even master volume. Is this a relatively simple modification or major surgery? Thanks ampeg gurus.

2. erm, well, its a bit different, but with my SVT II, the master volume affects it even when its on pre-eq ( it has a pre/post switch )

what i think ampeg should use is a level control for a balanced DI, but its not essential, well, for me anyway

ive just rendered my reponse useless, sorry!

3. el_Kabong

el_Kabong

Jul 11, 2005
    bump. ampeg oracles? Is this viable or should I just get hold of a good di box?

4. BadB

BadB

May 25, 2005
    Glendale, AZ
    It should be a relatively easy mod for someone that knows what they're doing. I have discovered that although DI is really a cool idea to get a low impedence signal to the front of house PA, they seem to send a lot of string noise with it. And, pre-eq won't sound like your rig anyway. It'll sound like your bass. Is that what you're after? I have stopped using DI because of the string noise issue and went back to miking the cab. I am much happier with my sound coming out of the PA, and I'm happy about the sound of that expensive cabinet being included. Hope this helps.