Ampeg SVT classic DI mod??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by el_Kabong, Aug 23, 2005.

1. el_Kabong

Jul 11, 2005
    Has anyone modified the di on an ampeg svtcl head to be pre-eq rather than post? I like the onboard di but as they come they're post everything, even master volume. Is this a relatively simple modification or major surgery? Thanks ampeg gurus.
  2. erm, well, its a bit different, but with my SVT II, the master volume affects it even when its on pre-eq ( it has a pre/post switch )

what i think ampeg should use is a level control for a balanced DI, but its not essential, well, for me anyway

ive just rendered my reponse useless, sorry!
  3. el_Kabong

Jul 11, 2005
    bump. ampeg oracles? Is this viable or should I just get hold of a good di box?
  4. BadB

May 25, 2005
    Glendale, AZ
    It should be a relatively easy mod for someone that knows what they're doing. I have discovered that although DI is really a cool idea to get a low impedence signal to the front of house PA, they seem to send a lot of string noise with it. And, pre-eq won't sound like your rig anyway. It'll sound like your bass. Is that what you're after? I have stopped using DI because of the string noise issue and went back to miking the cab. I am much happier with my sound coming out of the PA, and I'm happy about the sound of that expensive cabinet being included. Hope this helps.