1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ampeg SVT Classic - Green light, no sound

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jclark49, Aug 5, 2012.

1. jclark49

jclark49

Aug 5, 2012
    Hello. I have an SVT Classic head that has inexplicably ceased to function. When I power it on and have it in Standby mode, the standby LED is already green. When I flip the amp out of standby, I can get full glorious SVT sound for about 1 second before I hear a relay click and then silence. If I flip back into standby and out again, I get no sound. If I power the amp off then back on, I can again get output for a second.
    I cannot get anything but green LEDs on the front of the amp (which seems to be different than what many people experience with these beasts shutting down. They never turn red no matter what position the switches are in. Also, the bias indicators on the back are constantly flickering red and green no matter what I do. All of the tubes seem to be lit, but I don't think they are getting full power because they all seem to be at a consistent level of dimness. Another item of note is that the fan is on as it should be...
    Before I take the plunge and spend the loot to have someone tear into my precious, has anyone ever seen anything like this before? If I had to guess, I am thinking bad tube, or perhaps that pesky relay I hear click right before my output disappears. Thank You for whoever spends the time to read my post.

2. JOE EDO

JOE EDO Supporting Member

Aug 28, 2007
    Central New York
    sounds like mis-matched power tubes..or one or more going south when voltage is being applied. That relay is kicking to to protect vital components.