1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

AMPEG SVT CLASSIC HEAD WITH AMPEG 4X10 CABINET

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by RTrafton, Jan 4, 2012.

1. RTrafton

RTrafton

Jul 26, 2011
    So I'm currently playing a Gallien-Kruger Solid State Head through an Ampeg 4x10 (both of which belong to my band.) I really want to get an SVT Classic Head, though I don't want to blow up the band's existing 4x10 cab. I think it may have something to do with the ohm impedance: the 4x10 I hear can only handle 8 ohms and the SVT Classic operates at 2 or 4 ohms. Do I have to get a 6x10, or can I use the 4x10 that my band already has-- not having to buy a new cabinet for the SVT Classic would be a real luxury.

2. rickdog

rickdog Gold Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2010
    If the cab is 8 ohms, you don't want to use it alone with the SVT-CL You can get away with this at low volume, but you risk damaging the amp (and maybe the cab too) if you push it hard.

What kind of cab is the 4x10? Probably your best bet is to add a second 8 ohm 4x10 cab just like the first. This will get ungodly loud if you need it to. :D

3. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    +1 on all counts. I've used a CL into a 410he with no problems before, but I play pretty quietly and was using a rented amp rig. I don't do that with my own SVT.

4. Matt R.

Matt R.

Jul 18, 2007
    Huntsville AL
    The 410HLF can handle the CL. It's 4ohms.