Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg SVT Classic Heads...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lemonadeisgood, Sep 3, 2001.

1. lemonadeisgood

lemonadeisgood

Aug 22, 2001
    Canada
    I know a big disadvantage of these is the fact that you cant mount them in a rack.

So would I be better off getting an SVT-Pro head instead? Whats the big difference in sound??

2. Freakapotamus9

Freakapotamus9

Jun 20, 2001
    Nebraska
    if rackmountable would be better, go for the SVT-2PRO. both the classic and svt2pro are great amps, the svt2pro has 5 preamp tubes whereas the classic has 2. the svt2pro also has a graphic EQ, which the classic doesnt. and the svt2pro also has alot more features that the classic doesnt ( ie: effects loop, tuner out, mute function, peak LED, etc. ). the big tone diff. ( i think ) would be in favor of the svt2pro ( graphic EQ and better preamp section )

i would go with the svt2pro cuz it has a lot more features plus ......... its 10 pounds lighter!!! :D :rolleyes:

good luck man.

3. bassclar7

bassclar7

Apr 22, 2000
    Goodrich, MI
    Having Played on both recently, I would go with the classic head. It sounds different. The svt2 EQ muddies up the sound, in my opinion. The classic is a much simpler design and sounds much better.
    Go with the Classic.