Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ampeg svt classic with swr 4 x 10

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassguy187, Jan 9, 2001.

1. bassguy187

bassguy187

Jun 27, 2000
    Nazo, PA
    hey guys i think i'm in trouble,
    i'm the current high bidder on a svt classic on ebay
    and i have an swr 4 x 10 cab,
    i do know that the svt classic has a minimum load of 4 ohms,
    if i play the svt through the swr cab am i going to overload it or anything?
    -thanx alot-

2. What is the ohm rating of the SWR cab? I think the Ampeg is capable of 2 and 4 ohm loads. If your cab is an 8 ohm model, you may be SOL.

3. bassguy187

bassguy187

Jun 27, 2000
    Nazo, PA
    the goliath 2 is an 8 ohm cabinet,

4. moss

moss

Dec 24, 2000
    hey is the classic the tube output section? i have a '70s svt and i used to run it thru a big ben and a workin mans 2x10, 1 into each output jack. i used to go through tubes quicker than i do now, but my amp repair guy kept yelling at me to get a 4 ohm cab so the head would be happy. if i remember my old roomate's svt classic correctly, it was a little less forgiving than my older head. i traded those for a swr 6x10 which is 4 ohms and still kind of small. if you know the ohms rating of the induvidual speakers you might be able to rewire them to a 4 ohm load. take a peek in the back. is this helping? i'll just go now...

5. LeMonJello420

LeMonJello420 Guest

Jan 9, 2001
    Tampa, FL
    If the Ampeg Classic has a minimum load of 4 ohms, that means you can use 2 8 ohm cabs. You should have no problem using your SWR. You just won't get the max power from the head. Check the Ampeg website to find out how many watts the head will put out into a 8 ohm load.

6. bassguy187

bassguy187

Jun 27, 2000
    Nazo, PA
    the maximum wattage for the goliath 2 is about 700 watts rms at ohms,

7. bassguy187

bassguy187

Jun 27, 2000
    Nazo, PA
    the ampeg svt cl does not go into 8ohms that why i'm afraid i'll blow a speaker or something,

8. Actually, I'd be more worried about overheating the amp. I don't think an 8 ohm cab can provide a sufficient load for a tube amp.

You may want to ask PsychBassGuy or Throbbinut about this. They can probably set you straight.

9. LeMonJello420

LeMonJello420 Guest

Jan 9, 2001
    Tampa, FL
    If the Ampeg Classic doesn't go into an 8 ohm load, it will be the FIRST head I have EVER heard of that can't. With ohms, you can always go higher (8, 16, etc.) You just can't go lower that the minimum number posted on the back. In this case the number being 4. From the info you've given so far, I'd say the only thing you couldn't do with that head is use 2, 4ohm cabs (that would give you a 2 ohm load which the head wouldn't like) Again, you should be fine with your SWR. As far as blowing your cabinet goes, your biggest fear should be clipping from the amp, especially if it is solid state, not so much if it's tube.

10. The SVT Classic isn't supposed to be run at 8 ohms. The output transformer has 4 ohm and 2 ohm taps. It doesn't work like a solid state amp, you should only run cabs with the right impedences off it. That being said, it probably won't hurt if you run at 8 ohms, unless you're running it at full tilt 6 hours a day. The real danger would be turning the amp on with no load attached. Doing that will cook the amp real fast... I have a Goliath 3 and what I did was rewire the cab to be 2 ohms, that's all the speakers in parallel.(you can't wire an 8 ohm 410 to be 4 ohms.) I run the cab off the ext speaker jack and use a 1/4 inch dummy plug to unground the main speaker op. this bypasses the 4 ohm tap and uses the 2 ohm tap on the output transformer. This works well and is perfectly safe for the amp and cab. Hope this helps.

11. bassguy187

bassguy187

Jun 27, 2000
    Nazo, PA
    alright, would this work and sound good?
    i have another 8 ohm cabinet which is a crate 15 which can only handle 150 watts,
    what wound happend if i put this with the goliath 2,
    would it fry the fifteen or not? and how would it sound?

12. bassguy187

bassguy187

Jun 27, 2000
    Nazo, PA
    alright, would this work and sound good?
    i have another 8 ohm cabinet which is a crate 15 which can only handle 150 watts,
    what wound happend if i put this with the goliath 2,
    would it fry the fifteen or not? and how would it sound?

13. That would probably work real nice. The SVT puts out 300 watts, and with two 8 ohm cabs, that would make 150 per cab, which your 15 should easily take. The 15 will give you more bottom end and it shouldn't affect the mids and highs too much. My SVT (1976) sounds incredible with just the goliath 3, so I suspect adding a 15 would sound devastating! y'know, pin ya to the wall type thing:D.You'd have to try it to know for sure, though. Go from the main speaker out to the goliath then go from the output of the goliath to the 15. This will match impedences and the amp and cabs will be happy!