ampeg svt classic

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by pike66, Apr 28, 2001.

1. pike66

Apr 28, 2001
    Long Island NY
    Hi all!
    I really dig my SVT classic.
    My last band used to call it "the air conditioner" lol
    because it's big, and makes noise ,like an air conditioner when you
    first turn it on.
    All in all, I' m glad I bought it.
    It's probably the last amp I'll really ever need.
    And I dig the vibe that the earlier models on it were used
    in the 60's to fill big stadiums.
    anybody play with an svt classic?
  2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

pike - I've rented them for road gigs. If you can believe it, the St. Louis Music jobs pale in comparison to a vintage, refurbished SVT :eek: !!! Having been born and raised in St. Louis and having had friends who worked at St. Louis Music, the company has a "tradition" of compromising good gear, ("Crate-Ampegs") and offering garbage.

But, IMO, "the Elephant" that's on the market today still deserves respect, as well as the diehards willing to truck it around. You are in good company! It still doofi tree growth and causes genetic damage in squirrel populations when cranked. ;)
  3. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    The SVT Classic is the "Holy Grail" of bass amps!!! I use the SVT-2 Pro (same head except it has a graphic EQ & is rack mountable) The Original are much better than the newer ones, but that is sais about everything. I.E. Early Fenders, Early Gibsons, early Marshalls, etc!!!!
  4. pike66

Apr 28, 2001
    Long Island NY
    yeah exactly.
    i didn't really mean that my new SVT classic is exactly, or anything like
    the ones made in the 60's.
    but the new one does still have that vibe, and feel from the tubes.
    i would LOVE to own an actual original svt classic though.
  5. RockFiend

Aug 23, 2000
    i've asked around as to why the new SLM Electronic SVT's can't compare with the original Magnavox?!? ones, I was told that with the amount of voltage the old ones req'd that a lot of fuses and tubes would breakdown, with the newer versions they have lessened the amountof voltage intake, and this has affected the amps quality---- I was simply told this i have no idea how accurate it is just thought i'd bring it up and see if anyone ahs any feedback,
  6. If Psycho Bass Guy was around he could go into it in great detail. I'm sure a comparison is in the achives somewhere.
  7. JimM

Jan 13, 2000
    Northern California
    Finally,a way to link bass with my other hobby-BONSAI TREES!

(cover your ears trees,I ain't no Jaco!)

For Psycho's remarks,look under "Big Tube Bass Amps"or something like that.
  8. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    You have to remember that the tubes that are used now are different. The USA tubes were considered the best around. I've seen old USA tubes sell for ALOT of $$$ in the internet.

I still think the new Ampegs are better than alot of people give them credit for, Just my opinion.
  9. As far as I'm concerned the SVT is the holy grail of bass amps. I own a 1976 and I love it. The classic is different, but it's still a great amp. They're using a different tube complement now because some the preamp tubes in the original are pretty rare. 12dw7's, 12bh7's, etc. That would contribute to the difference in sound. I believe the newer ones have a lower plate voltage, but I'm not sure. I also think (based on having them apart) that SLM is skimping a bit on components and construction. But all in all they're pretty well made, though. A classic is more reliable and easier to bias and stuff.
    I'm a tech head so I don't mind doing maintenance on mine.
  10. I've got one and I love it. I can't compare it to the ones made in the 70's, But for only $400.00 (head & 8-10 cab) I won't complain. BTW the original SVT's used 6146b power tubes.
  11. Damn, you got the head and and 8-10 cab for $400. Im assuming thats American, but at my local music shop (the best one in Toronto-steve's) the cab alone is going for $1150 Canadian, and the Head is also $1150 Canadian, and I know our dollar isnt THAT much worse than yours. I guess I should reconsider now, I was looking at the 4-10 cab for $675, and getting a cheaper head a peavey Mark 4 for $275. Does anyone know if this would be a wise bet?
  12. I hit every pawnshop in a 30 mile radius of my house on a regular basis. You never know when you'll find that "Killer Deal", And cash talks!

Oh yeah, that's American, I'm in Texas BTW.