Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg SVT Classic???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BassGreaser, Dec 19, 2002.

1. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I'm looking at getting a Tube head. How does the Ampeg SVT CLassic hold agianst a 5 string? I'll be running it with two EA CxL-110's. Will the Ampeg be loud enough for live shows. I play in a loud 7 piece band with two horn players.

2. SRSiegel

SRSiegel Guest

Sep 17, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    as far as im aware, thats plenty of power to amplify a 5 string. were also talkin tube watts, which dont have quite the properties of solid state watts. i wouldnt worry at all about this head, moreso your cabs. the SVT classic was designed to push huge cabs like the SVT 810E. and it does a wonderful job of doing it. Ive played through such a rig, it was great, and while it defenitly doesnt shake like a good subwoofer will, it was loud as sin.

however i have no experience of putting such massive tube wattage into such small cabinets. sorry, i have no idea how that would sound. i know EA makes wonderful cabs, but this sounds like a bit of a conflict of interest. (SVT=LOUD, GROWLY, OBNOXIOUS, IN YOUR FACE (yet delightful)..... EA=polite, hi-fi and refined.)

what do you want?

3. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I'm looking for loud, warm, fat, and tubie goodness

4. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    but yet still be hifi and detailed

5. As a former owner of the Classic, it will definitely do this.

6. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    but with two EA CxL-110's

7. But not this. Maybe the cab set-up you mention will help--but I really doubt it. I agree with Siegel's conflict of interest rationale.

But when you do it be sure to let us know what the results were. It's not everyday that people try this. Maybe it'll be the sh*t!

8. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I will.......so the ampeg isn't about clean sound

9. Thats comedy!!!

(no offense. Thats a very true statement)

10. I hate this saying but it's appropriate: "It's relative." "I" don't think of my Ampeg as clean sounding. Some do. I think the cleanest tone I've heard was from a Trace. Boogie bass stuff sounds clean(er) to me but many owner's of those rigs feel they are not. But some do. I've heard the Aguilar tube stuff recently and it sounds clean to me.

I like my Ampeg because it's not clean. After years of DB (does it get any cleaner?) I like my electric-bass to be dirty. :cool:

11. I get very clean sound out of my CL, so much that I have to make it dirty. I don't know if I would suggest running that amp through two 110 cabs though, you may just blow-em, of course that's my opinion. I run it through two 410's (SVT 410HLF)and it rattles them and shakes our practice house really hard. Of course a band I run sound for uses an SVT 4-PRO through an SVT 210CL and pushes it extremly hard with a 5 string and it sounds great so it may work.

What kind of amp are you using now? In this situation I would check out a GK 400RBIII or the 1001RBIII. They are loud and pretty warm and very smooth to me.

Anyway that's my thoughts
    J.

12. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    right now i have an Alembic preamp with a steward power amp, but my cabs shut my power amp off . I would love to own an Aguilar 728, but i just looked at the new prices. They seem to be way too high.

13. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Does ampeg make just a tube power amp??

14. Rock City

Rock City

Apr 8, 2001
    Boston,Ma
    Greaser,
    I think you WON'T like the sound of an SVT through your rig. The problem is the Hi-Fi'ness of your cabs, and the Lo-Fi'ness of the SVT. As soon as the amp starts to clip, your tweeter and midrange will sound TERRIBLE! Believe me!!!!!!!!!! I was using a well tuned vintage SVT through a cab with a tweeter, and at low volume it sounded cool, but get it to "hump" and it got real ugly fast.
    Also, measure those "8 ohm" cabs of yours. I think you'll find that they're really 4 ohms! That's why your Stewart is shutting down. Trust me.....I did it.
    GEEK

15. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    GEEK
    what do you like better...your SVT or your walter woods? I was thinking about going with the WW

16. AMPEG SV-1500 I believe is their tube power amp. I could be wrong, though...Someone please correct me if I am.

17. Rock City

Rock City

Apr 8, 2001
    Boston,Ma
    Greaser,
    For pure, flat out ROCK TONE, the SVT is unbeaten in my book. The Woods is VERY clean and hi-fi. The band I currently play with needs more of the clean and loud thing, so the Woods is the winner. If I was playing in a heavier rock setting, the SVT would get used more. The weight and size of the Woods is also a factor. I used to DREAD having to load the SVT in my car alone! I actually bought a station wagon(Saturn) a couple of years ago, because the 8x10 fit nicely. It used to live in the car year round!
    Back to your initial question though, NIETHER amp is "better". I love them both for different things. If I was to start needing the SVT again though, I would probably go Ashdown instead. My old ABM-500 sounded VERY SVT like, yet weighed much less.
    If you can get the "Classic" with some kind of approval period, I'd say try it for yourself. I wasn't nuts about it but you may love it!
    GEEK

18. The SVT will handle it, but the cabs won't. Two 10 inch speakers can't move enough air to be heard in a loud environment or in a large room. You're going to need at least four 10's I think. The SVT has been described in many ways, but hi-fi generally isn't one of them. I owned one for several years and I certainly wouldn't call it that.

19. Which Stewart power amp are you using? If they are really 4 ohm instead of 8 like GG says, than trying running them in series to make 8 ohms. As efficient as they are, they should still be getting plenty of power. I have a Eden VT-300A tube amp that is the cleanest sounding amp I've ever heard anytime anywhere. But, they are hard to find and even harder to get serviced.

20. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    well right now I have the power amp running to one cab banana to 1/4in., then i have both cabs connected together by speakons.