1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ampeg svt-di

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by punkbassistfc, Aug 17, 2007.

1. hey guys, if i get a Di from america, can i change the voltage over so it can be used in Australia as well? Thanks heaps

2. Don't they simply run from phanton power???? I know some take a power supply.....hmmmmmm,

3. they do have a power supply. Just wondering if it's easy to convert though?

4. ROON

ROON

Aug 5, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    I've heard that changing the transformer (or whatever it is) to the Aussie voltage can be pretty shoddy with high chances of stuff breaking... If I were you I'd just pay and get one that's already here.

5. Sweet dude, i will have a look around locally but they seem to fetch pretty high prices here. Around the $600 mark.

6. ROON

ROON

Aug 5, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    It's insane hey... I wanna get an Ampeg setup, in the US you can get an SVT-3PRO + an SVT410HLF for $1500... That exact same setup costs $5200 RRP in Australia. :(

7. Yeah i know dude, Im pretty luck in that my band is going over to cali next June and thats why i wanted to get the di their an bring it back. The rrp here is ridiculous

8. Here's Something for you. http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=328520

there is also another thread (couldn't find) about a UK guy who wanted to import an amp from the USA and he was told get some kind of power converter. My thoughts is ask your local electrician about what your trying to do and see what they think the best way is or if anyone can help. Im from Australia too and I feel your pain :p

9. Yup.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=352967
    Theres a photo there showing the back side of the unit. note that you'll need to replace the fuse with a 25A- but I believe thats it. Double check me on it, but I'm 99% sure you're on a winner.

BTW I just shipped in an SVT Pro3 and changed the voltage over. You need to be careful about what you're doing but it's doable.

10. Hey dude, thanks heaps for that. So do you think that it may just be the fuse? I will have to go and check one in the flesh. Thanks heaps for that mate.

11. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    It won't be just the fuse. Either there is a re-wire possible, OR the transformer needs to be swapped.

I absolutely do not recall, but may be able to look up the possibility of a direct re-wire to 240V. I am not really hopeful, the box is fairly crowded, and the wiring for 120/240 takes up some room.

The good news is the transformer is small, and it seems like it could not be that expensive. (Famous last words.......)

12. hmmm........ ^^^ he knows stuff.

It seems odd, however, that they'd have a graphic for 2 fuse types when it needs a full tranny swap.

13. Thanks heaps guys. I think i may just go for the aguilar one with the ac adaptor.