1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg SVT fraud

Discussion in 'Lost & Stolen Gear' started by nickyn99, Nov 30, 2010.

1. nickyn99

nickyn99

Dec 18, 2006

2. That sucks man. Just keep in mind that outside of eBay deals are pretty much up in the air with PP. Do you know where he lives or have his address? if so, go repo the Amp...or find out what band he is in and repo the amp before a gig. ;-)

3. nickyn99

nickyn99

Dec 18, 2006
    I do know his address if he gave Paypal the right info but I really don't want to go to jail, know what I mean.

4. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    Sorry to hear that. I learned a few years back about taking Pay Pal. I haven't sense and never will.

5. tinman 1967

tinman 1967

Mar 6, 2010
    Thats horrible.
    I never knew that , I thought it was a real safe way to go. I had no idea that a buyer could go to thier CC company and say that they didnt authorize a payment. Can this only happen when they dont have enough funds in thier Pay Pal acct. and have to go to the credit card backup?

Not much good coming from this for you other than the fact that you have brought this scam to peoples attn. (meaning my ignorant self!)

I am too much of a trusting soul, my wife tells me that all the time.

I hate nothing as much as I hate a liar and a thief!!!!

Good luck to you, I hope it works out OK for you!!

Remember....... Karma is a funny thing, hope that scuzz ball knows that!:rollno:

6. tinman 1967

tinman 1967

Mar 6, 2010
    Have you tried contacting him?? I did not see the part in your OP about him being a member here.

Dont need members like that!

Hopefully he makes it right, maybe it was a mistake that he knew nothing about??

There I go with that trust thing again...

7. nickyn99

nickyn99

Dec 18, 2006
    Nah - He's a scammer. Sent emails with no reply, called him as soon as I found out about and basically was hung up on. Tried calling since but get a robotic voicemail. The guy is a loser. I do have some good evidence for the small claims case according to a lawyer I have talked to which is the same evidence I sent to Paypal with no luck. But again, it's Paypal.

8. tinman 1967

tinman 1967

Mar 6, 2010
    Well Hell...... I hpe it works out for you, Is the person still here? Perhaps a bit of nudging by mods here may turn him around?

9. Ben B

Ben B

Jul 13, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Do you have evidence that the transaction took place such as a receipt or bill of sale? If you have a receipt and you sent a copy to PayPal and they forwarded it to the guy's credit card company, I highly doubt the credit card company would have fought it. Therefore, I suspect either you didn't provide PayPal any proof that the transaction took place (you didn't mention it in your OP) or PayPal didn't forward your proof to the credit card company. I have read a lot about PayPal, and the consensus is that they do not work very hard to investigate or resolve problems.

Assuming you have proof that the transaction took place, ask PayPal for the name of the guy's credit card company. Sure they won't give you the credit card number, but PayPal might at least give you the company name. If you have the credit card company name and the guy's name and address, you might be able to get them to investigate it and, hopefully, they will reissue the amount to PayPal.

Good luck,
    Ben

10. nickyn99

nickyn99

Dec 18, 2006
    Does not look like he has posted here in a few months. I am pretty positive this user is the same guy. His username here is the same name on his yahoo email and location is San Francisco which is really close to his Paypal address. When he was at my house he is the one that brought this site up and said he has posted a few times. Ya never know I guess.

11. nickyn99,
    If you have this type of evidence to take him to small claims, you should contact your State Attorney General office to help you deal with PayPal.
    They generally have an on-line form that you need to fill and provide pdf's of letters, receipts, etc. Corporate American listen more carefully to Attorney Generals than consumers. Good luck to you.

12. jimbilly

jimbilly

Apr 19, 2006
    Since he effectively just stole your amp, but in a sort of complicated way, what about calling the local police? I imagine they may be interested.
    It's also a safe assumption that this isn't the only time he's done this, all the more reason to contact the local PD.

13. That is terrible. Sorry man.

Do you have any pictures of your amp? Serial numbers? Emails indicating the thief was coming to your house?

You definitely need to contact your local police department.

14. Sorry I did not read your post completely. Good to hear you are going to court. Do you have proof that he has the amp?

15. nickyn99

nickyn99

Dec 18, 2006
    I did and have the report. They said it is a civil case since a crime really was not commited since I let him take it. Believe I have spent hours doing research and have taken all the steps I know of to get this guy. Next step is small claims. I have alot of good evidence according to the laywer so will see what happens. I really do not see how I will be ruled against in small claims. Who knows if the loser will even show up.

16. nickyn99

nickyn99

Dec 18, 2006
    I have the original Ebay auction listing, the time and date I eneded the auction, the time and date he paid with Paypal, the time and date I withdrew the money from paypal which is all within an hour of each other. I really can't prove he has the amp. How can anyone really prove someone has something they bought from you. I guess I could have taken a picture of me helping him load it into his car but at the time I really didi not think this would happen. I have sold alot of items and a few just like this transaction and it has never happended. This is all new to me. Live and learn, the hard way sometimes, right.

17. Sorry if that was in poor taste. I was just trying to think what the judge might ask. But why else would someone send you $1720 via paypal. Do you think he is going to say that you hacked his account? Did he send you emails asking to end the auction?

18. nickyn99

nickyn99

Dec 18, 2006
    No - He was at my house. My auction stated local pick-up only. When he paid I ended the auction. Of cousre looking back now I would have done things alot differently but again, never thought this would happen in a million years. Hacked account, who knows. If he does show up in court I would like to see what evidence he has saying he did not authorize payment. Someone had to know his password, username, etc. to make the transaction. You usually get an email form Paypal saying you sent money to the buyer. This guy knew the money was sent even if he did not send it which is a slim possibility in my oppinion. He waited a little over a month to notify his credit card company. The guy is a scammer. If he did not do it, who did. Did he report anything to the police? Who knows.

19. How did the scammer initially contact you?

20. nickyn99

nickyn99

Dec 18, 2006
    Email then by phone. I did not keep the original email which after a few weeks I delete all my emails. Again, live and learn. I do have my cell bill showing I talked with with for 46 minutes a few days before the sale.