1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg SVT-HD Club? The #500!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SUNNyday r., Feb 28, 2008.

1. hd5054

hd5054

Jul 20, 2012
    Union sc
  2. Dave Ryan

Dave Ryan

Jul 31, 2007
    St Louis
    Bass Player
    I'm late to the discussion, brings back memories. Just worked on a 1970's SVT recap & tubes, thing works great, it's 40 years old.
    Way cool

3. RRJackson

RRJackson Commercial User

Apr 23, 2011
    Bradenton, FL
    Owner of Fool Audio Research
    I got an unexpected email from Dave Ryan yesterday that finally explains this amp. It was great to finally get some info on it:

Hello Mr jackson, my name is Dave Ryan, I built the amp you own now, as you can see. I was the "line assembly supervisor" for the SVT-HD re-issue project. 1986-1987
    I worked for the company from 1985 to 2008. I mostly worked in the service department after the Skunk Works project was over. I came on board & was recruited from the factory assembly line just by the very fact that I had already owned 2 Ampegs before I started working at SLME, so they said hey Dave, you know more than anybody else around here about these things, go see George McKale [chief engineer] Way cool for me.

So, your amp is a "stray" meaning, we ordered enough parts to build about 512 if I'm not mistaken. Every once in a while a manager or someone of importance would stop by the line & tell me to build up an "extra one", so being a good soldier, I did. We only had the brass "badges" serial #'s for exactly 500, so the extra SN's were just made up for the most part. I made one for myself as well. I know longer own this amp, I traded it, at the time, for a freakin Alesis HR-16 drum machine, I needed it for my studio & the SVT was free, so what did I care.....stupid. Don't know what happened to the other 8 or 9, they just disappeared into the woodwork as they say.

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    DAVE! How you been, bro! Good to see you back on here...don't be such a stranger!

5. Bass 45

Bass 45 Supporting Member

Jun 23, 2011
    Tempe, Arizona
    #117:bassist:

Attached Files:

6. david grover

david grover

Feb 26, 2015
    I have #70.....Los Angeles CA. I believe I have the matching 8x10 Cab also. It has no serial number on the outside, Aluminum trim around the edge of grillcloth and has the same handles as the Head labeled "JH Sessions, Bristol Conn". Can anyone verify that...? Dave Ryan...?

7. david grover

david grover

Feb 26, 2015
    I have #70.....Los Angeles CA. I believe I have the matching 8x10 Cab also. It has no serial number on the outside, Aluminum trim around the edge of grillcloth and has the same handles as the Head labeled "JH Sessions, Bristol Conn". Can anyone verify that...? Dave Ryan...?

8. Bass 45

Bass 45 Supporting Member

Jun 23, 2011
    Tempe, Arizona
    The cab you are describing is an "MTI" era cab made in Japan in the early '80's. They were smaller, lighter then the later 810e's and made from high quality plywood. Awesome cabs.

9. david grover

david grover

Feb 26, 2015
    Thanks for the great info.......I also have a B15s, 61 B15 and a very early SVT cabinet with dolly...Ampeg!

Bass 45 likes this.
  10. david grover

david grover

Feb 26, 2015
    The Cabinet is actually a little bigger then my 69 cabinet......spring handles, wheels, aluminum kick panel, and your right, it does sound incredible.....Thanks again.

Bass 45 likes this.
  11. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    Just to let you know, I created an entry for this thread under, Ampeg Clubs, in the list of TalkBass Wikis.

Click on wiki at the top of the page, select List of all wiki pages. It is at the top under A.

Bass 45 likes this.
  12. Ptoid

Ptoid

Feb 14, 2016
    Bought #267 in 1989 or so and still have it

Bass 45 likes this.
  13. svtrickguy1961

svtrickguy1961

Mar 6, 2010
    Indianapolis IN 1456524043293.

Owned it since new 30 years now and zero problems.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2016
    beans-on-toast likes this.
  14. P A U L

P A U L

Oct 18, 2015
    Los Angeles
    #127...

necropost! :)... I looked for a thread like this when I joined but never saw it. I was looking for info on my amp & there it was. I bought mine in about '93 from Tim Gaines in Stryper, along w/ 2- 8x10 cab's that are fitted w/ metal grill to match Mesa Boogie 4x12 cab's of the day. They are striped silver & black (not yellow/black) for the Against The Law tour...

I just loaded it w/ some Fender 6550s & TAD 7025 & 12BH7A pre's. I didn't get the 6C4, which I might need to. Back in the day, I was getting a rattle, but I never looked into it. It had all Philips tubes before. Now I need to bias her up & see what kind of damage I can do... :)...

svt.

beans-on-toast and Bass 45 like this.
  15. kranahan

kranahan Supporting Member

#82 right here!

I meant to post this sooner... I picked up this Skunkworks HD head back on December 20th. This thing sounds simply amazing!

Here are some pictures:
    DSC06570.JPG DSC06566.JPG DSC06573.JPG DSC06565.JPG DSC06568.JPG DSC06569.JPG

LeftyD likes this.
  16. I politely suggest adding "Skunkworks" to the title of this thread. More people would find it. Also, in addition to the Skunkworks SVT's, SVT-HD was the model designation for all the MTI-era SVT's as well as the non-Skunkworks SVT's that SLM made.

kranahan and bobyoung53 like this.
  17. I don't own it anymore but i had a mid 200's skunkworks head that I bought as a left over at an out of the way music store in Framingham, Ma, I sold it about ten years ago, I prefer the 70's heads, I wish i hadn't have sold it though.

18. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    First I've heard of that!

??? 12BH7's and 6C4 in a Skunkworks SVT? I thought they replaced all the oddball tubes with 12ax7's and 12au7's in that one.

19. I reckon you're referring to the non-SW SLM SVT's. I think about 100 were made, so more rare than Skunkworks, but leftover/MTI-grade components.

Aaaaaand, there just happens to be one on eBay right now:

Ampeg SVT-HD bass head (SLM - USA MADE) | eBay

20. kranahan

kranahan Supporting Member

If the SVT-HD and Skunkworks SVT are separate, then why does my SW have "SVT-HD Tube Layout" stickers in it? Did they just use MTI stickers?

That SVT has been on CL for months. I've always been intrigued by the feet layout...

Chris 'Wighat' Jordan likes this.