Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg SVT heads

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mr Cup, Feb 28, 2001.

1. Mr Cup

Mr Cup

Mar 2, 2000
    Hi everyone

I have a few questions to ask, hopefully someone will be able to let me know what would be best etc.

I need to buy a new amp, so far through testing what's around the local music stores and reading reviews and things, I'm leaning towards an ampeg svt pro 3 head and ampeg 4x10 cab. At the moment I have this horrid transitor combo. I don't know a whole heap about amps for starters, I'm lost with things like 450 watts through 4 ohms and whatever. So here's my questions:

1) The svt 3 pro, are they loud enough for small to med gigs, or should I look for the next one up?

2) Anything I should consider besides Ampeg? I know they have a really good name, and I do like the sound. I play dub, rock, punk mainly.

3) What are the technical details to take into consideration?
    I mean, I understand how watts are a measure of power but then there's resistance, and I'm told this doesn't really mean more wattage equals more volume, so what do I need to look for?

Sorry this is quite long, being concise isn't one of my strengths.

Cheers
    Carl

2. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    <b>1) The svt 3 pro, are they loud enough for small to med gigs, or should I look for the next one up?</b>
    Yes, they're powerfull enough. They have 450 watts into 4ohms.

<b>2) Anything I should consider besides Ampeg? I know they have a really good name, and I do like the sound. I play dub, rock, punk mainly.</b>
    Every amp you can plug your bass into. I hear Aguilar & Eden are excellent. Then there are those that I've tried & didn't like i.e. Hartke, GK, Peavey. & alot of other I can't think of now. :)

<b>3) What are the technical details to take into consideration?
    I mean, I understand how watts are a measure of power but then there's resistance, and I'm told this doesn't really mean more wattage equals more volume, so what do I need to look for?</b>
    Sorry, not my dept. I tend to listen to my ears & if they like it, that's enough for me.

Good luck.

3. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I wish people wouldn't call this current crop of SLM stuff "SVT." Solid state SVT? Not in my book. SVT stands for Super Vacuum Tube, after all! I realize that SLM/Ampeg owns the name and markets the stuff that way but damn...

4. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Because people buy a name. They'll assosiate an SVT w/a tube pre-amp w/an older one & try one because of that. I think that they're good, but I'd love to get my hands on a 70's SVT head. I let some go @ stupid low prices & I could kick myself in the butt for it!!!

5. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Here's the address, send in your complaint!

Ampeg
    St. Louis Music, Inc.
    1400 Ferguson Ave.
    St. Louis, MO 63133

My ampeg head doesn't have a tube in it and I love it!!!

6. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Didn't mean to imply Ampeg doesn't make good amps these days, I was just beefin' about 'em using the name SVT in so much of their line. Nino hit the nail on the head, the name = sales.

Speaking of modern SLM/Ampeg gear, the SVT Classic is actually quite a good amp. In fact, I've got one that's like new I'll let go for $800, you pay shipping!

7. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    the svt 300 is pleanty powerfull for small to medium sized gigs.

another brand you may want to consider is Carvin, at least for the speaker cabinet. they have excellent prices and i would be willing to put thier 4x10 up against any ampeg 4x10.

as far as technical details i dont know too too much about them them, all i know is if you have a head rated at 8ohms you cant run a 4ohm load into it. I tend to use my ears when purchasing an amp more than technical specs. I also try to make sure the cab i buy is rated at whatever the head is.

8. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    I play through a SVT 3 pro and a 410 when I gig and I have no problem on sm & med gigs, for the large gigs I brake out the SVT Classic and extra 1 15 SVT cab to go with the 4 10 and I can recreate thunder.