1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ampeg SVT heritage modification.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jazzbass_5, Apr 29, 2017.

1. jazzbass_5

jazzbass_5

Sep 1, 2007
    NY, Albion
    Okay,
    My thoughts.
    My Ampeg SVT cabinet. I purchased it for $400 and it's a decent cabinet. Not to beat up. Sounds like an SVT cab but... I'm not impressed with the low end response which is to be expected with this cabinet.
    Soooo. I was thinking. I'd like to modify the cabinet. I was thinking. I have 4 Emience delta 10s, In a 4x10 ported cabinet that pretty close to the same volume as the lower 4x10s in my SVT cab. Swap out the speakers, rear port the lower half of the SVT like my 4x10 cab. (and open up the 2-2x10 sections in the lower half like the 4x10 cab) and I'll have an 8x10 that has the punchy mids on the upper half, and a killer low end response on the lower half.
    I know this is blasphemy but I'd like to have some decent low end response and great mid punch from one cab...
    Thoughts?

2. ThisBass

ThisBass

Aug 29, 2012
    Germany
    I'm not sure the Qtc of the upper half loeaded 10's will match to the Qtc of the bottom half loaded 10's.
    System Qtc with delta 10's will be around 0.3 which predicts a very lean bass sound and a very overdamped characteristic.
    Very likely Qtc with your (OEM) heritage 10's will predict a number around 0.7 (or even higher number)
    Wouldn't suggest to go with obvious different Qtc numbers like this.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2017
  3. jazzbass_5

jazzbass_5

Sep 1, 2007
    NY, Albion
    I understand what you're saying. You probably realize that each 2 speakers in the SVT 8x10 cab are in their own sealed enclosure.
    The idea is to keep the upper 2 sealed cabinets original, the upper 4x10s.
    Then, the lower 4x10s I plan on removing the original speakers, opening up the baffle that separates the lower two cabinets, then porting (rear porting) the lower half to tune it for the Delta 10s.

4. Leave that poor cabinet alone! :)

Want lows? Get the Heritage SVT-410HLF.

5. ThisBass

ThisBass

Aug 29, 2012
    Germany
    Then you will get the worst case scenario possible which is mixing of ported with sealed. In this case beyond (most important) Qtc issues your sound may also suffer on group delay and some phase issues.

I think it's best to leave the cab alone

Last edited: Apr 29, 2017
    jazzbass_5 likes this.