1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg SVT II Non/Pro Owners - I Need Your Help (Or Any Ampeg Know It All)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BassSurfer, Feb 21, 2013.

1. I am going to make the jump and officially go all tube. I just recently sold an older Ampeg V4 but it was just not doing it for me.

There are currently two on Ebay right now and I am probably going to buy one of these. I have done my fair share of research on TalkBass and definitely want one of these. Fortunately, there is a TON of information regarding these on here!

If you were in my position right now, which one would you take? They both appear to be SVT II Pros, but one looks a little bit older than the other. Anything different that one has and the other does not?

Here are the links, and as always, all comments welcome!
    Thanks!

Here is one n action!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=988Cst8qXGo

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ampeg-SVT-I...183?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c30573a2f

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ampeg-SVT-2...988?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2ec67096ac

2. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    The first one is actually an SVT-II Non Pro. It's most likely the more desirable one.

The SVT-II NP has a 6 band graphic EQ and no gain knob. It's basically a rack mount version of a "regular" SVT.
    The SVT-II Pro has a 9 band graphic EQ and does have a gain knob. It's basically a rack mount version of an SVT-CL.

3. Thanks for the clarification my good sir! You are always commenting and adding to my questions/posts. :bassist:

I guess the first seller does not know what he/she has then since they labeled the auction as a SVT II Pro..

Now that the confusion is settled and these are in fact NOT two pros.. I think I know which one I want. :bassist:

4. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Well, it's listed as SVT II SVT II P Pro...

I'm thinking they listed it like that so anyone searching for an SVT II, SVT IIP, or SVT II Pro will find it.

An SVT-IIP is the preamp of the SVT-II NP. Just like the SVP Pro is the preamp of the SVT II Pro.

Confused yet?

5. Not anymore! :bag:

6. grendle

grendle

Mar 4, 2011
    Central FL
    i'd go with the first one. I have 2 svt-IIp preamps and absolutely love them. they are the best sounding of the ampeg gear i have played. I bought a second as a backup just in case my first went out lol. good stuff.

7. Alex1984

Alex1984

Jan 16, 2010
    Vancouver
    I'd favour the non-Pro, but their prices are getting higher by the year.

8. spector_boogie

spector_boogie No Limit Honky

Apr 15, 2012
    The Woodlands, TX
    Is $1050 a good price for a rack-rash only SVT-2Pro? Found one locally (it's the newer gray-face one, not the blue-script 90's model like the eBay item listed above).

9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Not a bad price at all IMHO. You could probably find a lower price elsewhere, but the cost of shipping would offset the asking price.

10. Fair Warning

Fair Warning Deliverin' the Goods! Supporting Member

I remember some discussion regarding differences between Pro vs NP, that the earlier NP had better transformers etc. And the circuitry is different. Any truth to that?

I have 2 NP's. One from '89 and one that is a little newer (not sure of the year due to a scratch on the S/N). The '89 I got for $360 in an SKB case. Sold the SKB case for $60. Kinda stold that one (the seller did not have a cab to play it through and it had a bent treble knob pot shaft) so I took the risk, took it to my amp guy and with minimal service $75, I had a crankin SVT II.

The newer one I found on CL for $699......have not had to thouch that one. So I have been very fortunate.

11. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    I'm reasonably sure that the 2 Pro and the 2 Non-Pro used the same transformers that all SVT's made by SLM used until 2006...made by Electrical Windings. Some argue that the Chinese-made transformers they switched to aren't as good, but the heads all sound the same to me, so I don't have a problem with them.

12. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    Circuit yes, transformers probably not. As far as I know, SLM was still using the same company for the transformers up until a few years before the overseas move when that company stopped making them. Wouldn't make much sense to change a part like that since it was used in multiple models (SVT-CL, II, and the SVT-300 power amp).

13. spector_boogie

Apr 15, 2012
    The Woodlands, TX
    I emailed him back for some pics. I didn't realize these had been D/C'd, and hence the jump in prices.
    Have you had any experience with the DI on these? I asked the owner the same question as that's most of the time how I "have" to hit the PA/board, and knowing your history and battles with miking and all that stuff just wondering if I'm going to like the sound from the DI.

14. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    The DI is good, but it's not going through the output transformer so it'll sound more like one of Ampeg's old preamps like the SVP-CL and SVP-Pro. In other words, I wouldn't sell my REDDI to replace it with the DI from the SVT's, but it will sound better than a lot of DI's.

15. spector_boogie

Apr 15, 2012
    The Woodlands, TX
    Sweet, thx.
    I'll post pics if I pick it up.