Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg SVT II or V4B?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by the wizard, Mar 1, 2001.

1. the wizard

the wizard

Oct 10, 2000
    Sweden
    Hi!

Since my SVT II has been destroyed (?) in an "accident" I´m thinking of getting another amp. Another SVT II or a V4B. I am after that early 70s Geezer/Grand Funk/Sir Lord Baltimore tone and a high volume.
    Will a 100W Ampeg V4B cut it volume wise with a VERY loud drummer? Does it work well with the 8x10 cab?

Too bad that the original SVTs can´t be found here in Sweden since they weren´t imported here in the 70s...

2. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Well, it IS an Ampeg, and it IS an 8x10 cab, but how loud is "very loud"? If very loud is as loud as I think it might be, you'd have to push it. But that 8x10 will help you come a long way.

Kul med svenskar här, förresten - vi är alldeles för få. :)

3. the wizard

the wizard

Oct 10, 2000
    Sweden
    (Jaså, fler landsmän sitter uppe i denna sena timma!)

I ran my SVT II with 8x10 loud at rehersal. The vol knob was at 10 o klock. The drummer is a real animal. We´re a trio and it´s still hard to cut through at times.

4. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I was considering getting a V4B, but my friend that is a dealer, told me that they weren't very powerful, & that they distorted really easily. I ended up getting an SVT 2 pro & I love it. If you have a chance to play one as a demo @ a store, do it & go by that.

P.S. I bought the SVT 2 @ a Sam A$$ super demo blowout sale, so you cant say "He told you that to buy the more $$$ head. LOL :D:D

You had the SVT 2, didn't you like it?

5. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Okay, then the V4B definitely won't do. Not a chance in hell.

6. the wizard

the wizard

Oct 10, 2000
    Sweden
    I see.

My SVT II was ok but it was a bit clean for me. It didn´t have that smooth yet evil distortion that can be heard on all those 70s hard rock albums. Early Black Sabbath and such things.
    Hm...maybee a wall of V4Bs and 8x10s can be the way to go.

7. I know what you mean. I like my V-4B (70's era)cause it does distort at a lower volume level. It is a fairly loud amp, but its only 100 watts. I usually run mine with an SVT-III Pro when I need more volume. The V-4B overdriven for the mids and highs, the SVT-III clean for the lows. I've found the V-4B matches up well with the Ampeg 410 HLF cab.

8. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    If you want tube distortion, try the EBS Fafner. It doesn't sound like an Ampeg, but you can dial in as much tube crunch/fuzz as you want to without having to stress the actual amp. It has one single tube between the preamp and poweramp stage, which will last practically forever. 440 continous watts into 4 Ohms (I think), so volume's plenty. At least you can try it, if you already haven't.
    And it's cheaper than an SVT as well. :)

9. glover

glover

Jul 3, 2000
    Yeah, I have tried the Fafner. It didn´t sound tube to me really, too weak. (I used it during the recording of an album a few years ago, and I had to mix its signal with a marshall guitar amp to get a more wicked sound.)
    Anyway, thanks for the suggestion!

www.satellitecircle.com

10. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    OK, now I'm confused. You have two user names? That's a big no-no, and you should know that...

11. the wizard

the wizard

Oct 10, 2000
    Sweden
    Oh no! Sorry. Once upon a time when I was a "beginner" with computers I thought the name was connected to the IP number. So, I figured I had to have different names at work and at home! I´ve learned it doesn´t work that way and I just forgot to log one out! I have to spank myself now!!!