Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

AMPEG SVT-II PRO/NONPRO

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by peasandpotatoes, Feb 16, 2005.

1. guitar center doesnt even have the svt 2 pro
    i cant find it newhere! and i want to try it out for sure... i mean both hunter from afi and the bassist from thursday uses it, so obviously its a decent head... i read so reviews that says it sounds just like the svt classic, just has some extra features... is this true? because i have tried out the svt classic and loved it. what an amazing piece of equipment, but if i could get it with some more features, like a drive option and a 9 band eq that would be great. so does it sound just like the svt classic? opinions?
    One more thing: does the ampeg svt 2 pro sound the same as the older svt ii non pro??
    whats the difference?

2. DubDubs

DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    For some reason Guitar Centers don't carry the SVT 2 Pro. Try some smaller music stores I've seen one or two in smaller shops.

3. I've been to some smaller music stores... nothing, sadly :crying: im still gonna keep looking though...

4. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    SVT-II is one thing, SVT-2PRO is another, and SVT-CL is yet another. The SVT-II is no longer produced, but the CL and 2PRO are.

They are basically the same, or maybe I should say the same in basics. Details differ.

The 2PRO is in the rack package as opposed to the "head" package of the CL. It is a more "complete" unit, with more goodies.

It has the graphic EQ, mute, balanced out is switchable pre/post.

Some circuitry differences exist also, since the preamps have different numbers of tubes. The CL is somewhat "simplified" in the preamp.

So yes there will be sound differences. Depending on what you want, you may definitely like one more than the other, or not.

5. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    The guys from both of those bands use different heads a lot. Usually alternating between the 2pro and the CL.

GC seldom has a 2-pro, unless its used. Most people think "Classic" when they think tubes... and the myths of the 2Pro being unreliable kind of has it on a lesser tier than the Classic. But.... either way, both are about 80lbs or so. I hope your friggon ripped.

Also, I'm not sure of AFI or Thursday have any sort of FX or DI involved in their rigs at all. It would totally blow if you dropped $1300 and didnt get the exact sound you wanted (but all of the weight).

Also... what kind of speakers are you going to be running through?

6. I would be running through an Ampeg 810 E