Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg SVT-II Pro users tell me a little bit about it?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Flat Bass, Feb 2, 2004.

1. Flat Bass

Flat Bass

Dec 8, 2002
    I am wanting to go back to tubes and was trying to decide between a Mesa 400, Ampeg SVT-II, or a Aguilar 359. Well I have a opportunity to trade my SWR SM-900 and $150.00 for a virtually new SVT-II Pro in the box. Is this a good idea. Is this the warm thick tone I am after? I will be using two AGuilar GS=1-12 cabs and a Fender Jazz, or a R bass 5 custom playing in a Wedding/Motown band or a Funk/Jazz/Fusion band.

Thanks guys,
    Flat Bass

2. I played one and it's great, if don't mind the weight.

3. It does have a very warm sound, but in my opinion, it's not as warm as the Aguilar. The Ampeg is a little more on the gritty, vintage sounding side of things, where as the Aguilar is smoother and cleaner. I've also tried the Mesa Boogie, and I wasn't particularly fond of it. You'd probobly be happy with the Ampeg. Especially since those Aguilars are such warm soudning cabinets. My advice is to try the Aguilar DB 359 if you haven't already, before you make your decision.

4. I don't know about the latest ones but my SVT-II Pro had a problem with the protection circuit tripping and shutting the amp down. It also ran very hot even though I adjusted the bias properly on the rear of the amp. The amp sounded good but wasn't nearly as loud as my vintage svt's.