1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg SVT-II Pro vs Hartke LH1000

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kbakerde, Jun 3, 2014.

1. kbakerde

kbakerde Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2012
    Want to through this out and see what people think. Right now I own and use the Hartke LH1000. I love it and it sounds great. I used to own an all tube Bassman an love the Bassman sound.

I will never deny the sound of the SVT and would like to own one. My local Guitar Center has a used SVT II Pro head in a rack case for $699. So is this a good price for the head? Do you think it's worth selling the Hartke for the change?

I love all tube heads, but the Hartke is heavy enough and the SVT is twice as heavy. Also the Hartke has stupid power levels.

My cabs wouldn't change, so it a BFM Jack 210 and a pair of fEARfuls. One 12 and one 15. Thanks.

2. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    Assuming the SVT doesn't have any problems, that is a pretty good price.

Are any of your cabs 4-ohm?

rodl2005 likes this.
  3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    You ain't bought it yet?

DocGeorge likes this.
  4. kbakerde

Jan 24, 2012
    I didn't play it extensively, but yeah it seemed in good shape.

I have a BFM Jack 210 that's 4 ohms. Right now I leave that at my (current) bands practice spot. At home I have my fEARful cabs. A 15/6 and a 12/6 stack, but I have been only using the 12/6 for practice. From what I've read, I could use the amp with an 8 ohm load with little problems considering I would not be pushing the amp hardly at all, keeping the master probably under 9'oclock. Probabaly how I'd use my cabs would change from what I do now.

Jimmy, I'm really interested in your opinion of the Pro 2. I guess for lack of a better term, does that amp give you THE SVT sound that is so coveted? I mean the Hartke sounds good, but there is something about the SVT. Also, I've started becoming a pedal whore, so how does it take to dirt and boost pedals? I've got a Fuzz, the Pork Loin, the Catalinbread SFT and a Rat Tail right now. Passive Jazz Bass and a Warwick FNA.

I havn't bought it, but I am seriously considering grabbing it with that 30 day window to try it out and see if I like it. Thanks everyone.

5. johnpbass

johnpbass

Feb 18, 2008
    Glen Mills, PA
    Seems to me like a good price if the amp is in good shape.
    Is that in the Wilmington store kbakerde?

6. kbakerde

Jan 24, 2012
    What Wilmington Store, I am sure I don't know what your talking about :mad:

7. johnpbass

johnpbass

Feb 18, 2008
    Glen Mills, PA
    LOL! Just asking - I live in West Chester so Delaware (your profile location) is just down the road from me. I'm not going to snatch it out from under you.

8. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Any SVT tube amp is a great SVT tube amp. The 2 Pro is no different.

9. johnpbass

johnpbass

Feb 18, 2008
    Glen Mills, PA
    Chris Squire (one of my two fav all time bassists) uses IIPros in his rig. Would sound awesome IMO.

10. kbakerde

Jan 24, 2012
    Lol no worries. Hey if I want it and they sell it to you it other alls fair. I got no one to blame but me. Yeah it was Wilmington also have a 2 vintage P basses. A 78 and a 63 for $1700.

Anyone looking for a good guitar, they have 2-3 Gibson Les Paul studios or $600.

11. kbakerde

Jan 24, 2012
    Where in West Chester?

12. johnpbass

johnpbass

Feb 18, 2008
    Glen Mills, PA
    Kidding aside, a 2 Pro would be way overkill for me. My PF350 works just fine for what I'm doing, especially with my plan to add another 210AV cab!

I actually live outside of West Chester - West Goshen Township - right where 202 turns north and if you go straight, you're on High Street heading for West Chester.

13. kbakerde

Jan 24, 2012
    Was just up that way last night. Play with some guys in WC. Down rt 3

14. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Looks like somebody already bought it. I don't see it listed anymore.

15. packhowitzer

packhowitzer 155mm of pure destruction

Apr 20, 2011
    Atlanta
    I have been playing a II pro since 2007. Before that it was a IV pro. I really love my II pro. Once those tubes get warmed up, it just roars. I have mine in the stand alone head style rack case (you can see a bit of it in my avatar). The only downside is the weight - with the shell it's about 90 lbs. I think 7 bones is a good price for sure. buy with confidence, and then start working out so you can lug it around.

16. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    He who hesitates...

17. johnpbass

johnpbass

Feb 18, 2008
    Glen Mills, PA
    Cool. Ya, RT3 is only a couple of minutes from me.

18. johnpbass

johnpbass

Feb 18, 2008
    Glen Mills, PA
    Honest, it wasn't me!

19. MoeTown1986

MoeTown1986 Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2010
    SoMD (Mechanicsville)
    Isn't an SVT-2 Pro a "SVT" in rackable form?

20. kbakerde

Jan 24, 2012
    Hey I almost know where you live lol.