Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg SVT II, should I ????

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by i_got_a_mohawk, Mar 17, 2005.

1. I have a chance at getting a UK Ampeg SVT II, ive not seen one over here in ages, should i get this, or would i be better with the SVT II Pro ???

Help me out people :D

2. If you really like the Ampeg sound, and the amp is in good condition, why not?

3. dood

dood

Dec 9, 2004
    sitting down,facingforward..UK
    Endorsements: Shuker Guitars, Dingwall Designer Guitars, D'Addario, Planet Waves, Barefaced Bass
    whats the difference between the 2, and the 2 pro?
    I have a '97 2 pro, black front with the blue and red highlights.

4. The 2 looks like the 2 pro (well basically, the 2 pro you have also had a 2 version)

The 2 is apparently better than the 2 pro, the 2 pro has more options but is apparently unreliable, i dont know what to do :S

5. dood

dood

Dec 9, 2004
    Endorsements: Shuker Guitars, Dingwall Designer Guitars, D'Addario, Planet Waves, Barefaced Bass
    Oh right. I hadn't heard about any reliability problems. well, if my tuppence worth can help, mine is heavy, cumbersome and a pain in the back..

But it scares the little people with those 300 tube watts.. I like the Ampeg valve sound. I have replaced my valves and am yet to have any probs. mine is heavily gigged,.. must have had it about 5 years or so. I had been playing into 2 Hartke 4.5xl cabs, but it sounds gr8 thro my new little accugroove.

I'd say buy! - if it's a bargain!

6. Got a chance at getting one for £500, think im going for this one :D

7. PICK

PICK

Jan 27, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    IMO The older an Ampeg is the better. As long as its in working order.

8. its late 80's i think, (black with block white writing), and its working :)

9. big evil robot

big evil robot

Feb 27, 2005
    Edmonton, AB, Canada
    Innovations Music - Retailer
    you shouldn't even think about that man, just get it.

I believe from what I've read is the 2 is just a bit better than the 2pro, and it won't go into protect mode if you over-drive it too much.

10. It wont go into protect mode cus A) theres no protection circuit, and B) there is no overdrive dial

(altho i do understand the sound will be slightly overdriven when the tubes are full bore :) )

11. dood

dood

Dec 9, 2004
    so have you got it yet then?