1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ampeg SVT II, should I ????

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by i_got_a_mohawk, Mar 17, 2005.

1. I have a chance at getting a UK Ampeg SVT II, ive not seen one over here in ages, should i get this, or would i be better with the SVT II Pro ???

Help me out people :D

2. If you really like the Ampeg sound, and the amp is in good condition, why not?

3. dood

dood

Dec 9, 2004
    sitting down,facingforward..UK
    Endorsements: Shuker Guitars, Dingwall Designer Guitars, D'Addario, Planet Waves, Positive Grid, Barefaced Bass
    whats the difference between the 2, and the 2 pro?
    I have a '97 2 pro, black front with the blue and red highlights.

4. The 2 looks like the 2 pro (well basically, the 2 pro you have also had a 2 version)

The 2 is apparently better than the 2 pro, the 2 pro has more options but is apparently unreliable, i dont know what to do :S

5. dood

dood

Dec 9, 2004
    Endorsements: Shuker Guitars, Dingwall Designer Guitars, D'Addario, Planet Waves, Positive Grid, Barefaced Bass
    Oh right. I hadn't heard about any reliability problems. well, if my tuppence worth can help, mine is heavy, cumbersome and a pain in the back..

But it scares the little people with those 300 tube watts.. I like the Ampeg valve sound. I have replaced my valves and am yet to have any probs. mine is heavily gigged,.. must have had it about 5 years or so. I had been playing into 2 Hartke 4.5xl cabs, but it sounds gr8 thro my new little accugroove.

I'd say buy! - if it's a bargain!

6. Got a chance at getting one for £500, think im going for this one :D

7. PICK

PICK

Jan 27, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    IMO The older an Ampeg is the better. As long as its in working order.

8. its late 80's i think, (black with block white writing), and its working :)

9. big evil robot

big evil robot

Feb 27, 2005
    Edmonton, AB, Canada
    Innovations Music - Retailer
    you shouldn't even think about that man, just get it.

I believe from what I've read is the 2 is just a bit better than the 2pro, and it won't go into protect mode if you over-drive it too much.

10. It wont go into protect mode cus A) theres no protection circuit, and B) there is no overdrive dial

(altho i do understand the sound will be slightly overdriven when the tubes are full bore :) )

11. dood

dood

Dec 9, 2004
    so have you got it yet then?