Ampeg SVT II vs. SVT III??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Broncrider32, Feb 2, 2004.

1. Broncrider32

Feb 21, 2003
    I am wanting to get a new amp...I pretty much have it narrowed down to the Ampeg SVT II and SVT III. I was wondering if someone could tell me what some of the differences are. I have played through the SVT III and loved it but i've also heard that the SVT II very good as well. Please give me sum info.

2. The SVT-II should be louder and have a warmer all tube tone.
  3. monkfill

Jan 1, 2003
    Kansas City
    I'm assuming you're talking about the newer SVT-2 PRO and SVT-3 PRO. . .

The 2 is all tube. The 3 is tube pre + solid state power. For me that's no contest, I'd go with the all tube setup. Plus from what I've heard the 3 isn't all that powerful, I doubt it would hold a candle to the 2 in terms of volume. I think a more fair comparison would be the 2-PRO vs. the 4-PRO. The 4 has a lot more power than the 3. It actually still may not be as loud as the 2-PRO, but it should be close.
  4. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    While I love my SVT-3 Pro, I'd take an all tube setup over it. It still has killer tone.
  5. How did you decide at those two options? I mean.. honestly.. .your talking about such a difference here. Apples to oranges your comparing. The SVT2-Pro will be almost $1000 more than the 3-Pro, and has ALOt more power, tone, and weight. The SVT-3 pro is like.... the Ampeg amp for the normal band bassist, and the SVT 2-Pro is the Ampeg Premium quality All tube Sex amp.

Completely different. do some research on them both, and decide which is best for you. Maybe do a search????
  6. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    Many problems with volume on the 3PRO are related to the "tube gain" knob.

That affects the power supply for the tube that drives the output MosFets. If it is turned down too far, you just can't get full power, because you have limited the output voltage swing.

I keep hearing that the 3PRO is low in power or volume. I think maybe folks are afraid that the "tube gain" is just a distortion effect, so they leave it set low. Turn that thing UP if you want full power.

Probably it was poorly named. We should have called it something more like "power setting".
  7. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    Also that 10 Decibel boost on the 3 Pro's Graphic EQ at least doubles the volume as well...
  8. monkfill

Jan 1, 2003
    Kansas City
    My point was . . .

I'm sure the 3-pro is a competent head, but the 4-pro would probably make for a more fair comparison to the 2-pro.