Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ampeg SVT-II

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Flat Bass, Dec 18, 2002.

1. Flat Bass

Flat Bass

Dec 8, 2002
    Hello I would like your thoughts and advice on this amp. Is the sound unbeatable? Would I be better off getting the one space preamp and a poweramp to go lighter. Does the Aguilar 359 compare in any way at all to the SVT-II?

2. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

The SVT II is an awesome amp. However, if I were to go the SVT route, I would definitely prefer to buy a good vintage one. I think they sound much better than the new ones. The Aguilar tube stuff is also fantastic. It is more Hi-Fi sounding than the Ampeg. You will not get as much of the mid-range push or the growl and dirt as you would from an SVT. However, with the proper overdrive in front, you can get a good sound. The SVT will be overall louder too.

3. I whole-heartedly second this. The old SVT is the only amp I could find that had a "lively" and gnarly mid-range in addition to the much needed deep, warm bass. It's to die for.

I used to own a SVT-IIPro (more similar to your amp in question, but newer) and I liked it OK but too many un-needed bells and whistles and it lacked much of the aforementioned gnarl, IMO.

The Aguilar are nice and tubey but in a cleaner, hi-fi kind of way. On a side note: A local store owner (an Aguilar dealer) who knew I was lookin' for a real SVT was trying to get an old session guy here to trade in his old SVT rig for a new Aguilar. It didn't happen because the tone differential "outweighed" the actual weight differential in the SVTs favor. But, of course, it just as easily could go the other way depending on your taste.

BTW, by the time they're all racked-up with a pre and so forth how heavy are they?

4. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

I have a DB 728 in a 4 space shock-mount rackcase. It weighs about 85lbs. The pre-amp, etc are in a 6 space skb case. That weighs about 30 lbs.