Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg SVT III Pro

Discussion in '[OLD FORUM] Bass Guitars, Amps, and Accessories: F' started by shakeyeraz, Oct 11, 2002.

1. shakeyeraz

shakeyeraz

Aug 25, 2002
    Connecticut
    You know the amp: 450W @ 4 Ohms - the one that I am selling is the newer model - see picture. The amp has been well taken care of and it is in excellent condition. I'm looking for $600 + shipping. Please e-mail/PM me if you are interested.

Thanks.

2. shakeyeraz

shakeyeraz

Aug 25, 2002
    Connecticut
    bump

Will consider trades and cash - I'm planning on buying an SWR 750X so something comparable in power would be welcome.

Thanks.

3. erikwhitton

erikwhitton Guest

Sep 20, 2002
    Portland, ME USA
    you like the sound of that swr 750x better than the 3 pro?

4. shakeyeraz

shakeyeraz

Aug 25, 2002
    Connecticut
    I'm looking for a reasonable way to get more power and the SWR appears to offer that ( I have 2 Eden 4X10 cabinets). The Ampeg sounds really good and would remain my main amp if it weren't for the power issue. I've been struggling with this for a while now and this is the approach I"m taking.

Your thoughts are welcome.

5. erikwhitton

erikwhitton Guest

Sep 20, 2002
    Portland, ME USA
    i'm not sure i understand the whole 'pre amp in' 'power amp out' options as i have never had to use them - BUT - can't you get a pre-amp to boost your signal?

i was just surprised to see someone selling sn svt-3 for an swr 750x. the new swr x series has some pretty lame processers in their - those effects sound terrible to me. i would at least suggest a 750 over the 750x.

-erik

6. sleazylenny

sleazylenny

Jun 20, 2002
    Mpls, MN
    If you like the sound of your III, but want more juice, sell it and get a IV. Almost exactly the same preamp section ( with the exception of a crossover and a so-so one knob compressor ) but with 1200 watt bridged mono at 4 ohms.That's exactly what I'm gonna do. ( after I fix my car, pay my child support, pay my bills, get that dental work done.....hmmmm....this might take awhile):p

7. shakeyeraz

shakeyeraz

Aug 25, 2002
    Connecticut
    Eric/Sleazy - thanks for the feedback. Here's the history I have on getting a new amp.

750X - I played the 350X and it was OK - difficult to asses in a guitar shop but it was OK. I'm going with a leap of faith that the 750X is similar/better with more power.

Mo' Bass - Couldn't tell at all whether I liked it or not - too many controls to be able to assess in a short amount of time (again in the guitar shop).

750 - If you've got one to trade, let's talk.

SVT 4 or 5 - definately are a possibility and not out of the question. I really like the Ampeg sound and my Edens really let that sound come through. Again, trades/cash/both considered.

Ashdown - a friend of mine suggested the 500 (575W) but I don't have acces to one locally here to try. Would also require a leap of faith.

Cost is a factor. I can get the 750X new for $950.

Thanks.

8. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    i dont think this is what your lookin for but i have a hartke 7000 that sounds like itd do what u want it to. Id consider trading it.

9. shakeyeraz

shakeyeraz

Aug 25, 2002
    Connecticut
    Thanks for the offer - I've checked out the Hartke amps and, while good, don't have a good sound with the Eden cabinets IMHO.

10. meltsakana

meltsakana

Sep 3, 2002
  11. shakeyeraz

shakeyeraz

Aug 25, 2002
    Connecticut
    Meltsakana - you have e-mail.

12. shakeyeraz

shakeyeraz

Aug 25, 2002
    Connecticut
    One last time before ebay - does free shipping (to lower 48) interest anyone?

13. shakeyeraz

shakeyeraz

Aug 25, 2002
    Connecticut
    This was sold on ebay - thanks everyone for your interest.