1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ampeg SVT IIP preamp: Opinions anyone?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Stewbone, Jul 10, 2002.

1. I'm looking for a bass preamp to use with my Crest FA901 poweramp. I've been offered to trade my Trace AH250SM head for the Ampeg preamp mentioned above, = $100. Who's going to write me a response coarsely thrashing me for doing it? Am I SO WRONG???
    I've got a JBL 2226H in an EAW V-125B cab, and my sound is pretty dang promising at this point. I'm not sure a preamp is the most critical link in my chain. Fender Jazz w/ EMG Vintage J's along with this other stuff I've mentioned.
    Any advice?

-Stewbone.

2. virtual.ray

virtual.ray

Oct 25, 2000
    The SVTIIP is a nice little preamp,it has 3 12ax7 tubes in it and the graphic EQ is footswitchable.It doesn't have all the bells & whistles of the SVP Pro,but I found a used one for $119 which I feel was worth it.

3. 3 tubes? You sure? Thought it just had one. Anyway, sounds reasonable. Like I said, I've got pretty phat sounding stuff all around it, so as long as I've got some kind of e.q. I guess I could just get on with it- better than plugging into a blender!

-Stewbone.

4. Yep, he's right; the SVT-IIp has three 12ax7 tubes. The SVP-Pro has 5: 4 x 12ax7 (pre-amp) and 1 x 12AU7 (driver). The SVP-BSP has only one tube.

5. Allright- I'm backing off. 3 tubes it is. Thanks for the input, I'm making a choice 'tween the IIP, a Roland SIP301, and a Yamaha PB-1. Just torn 'bout what to do. I've been using a Trace-Elliot AH250SM, but the preamp (Line Out)doesn't put out enough juice for the poweramp to give up the headroom. Hence, my query.