Ampeg SVT-IIP Preamp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Drpepper99uk, Feb 9, 2006.

1. Drpepper99uk

Dec 31, 2004

I have been using Trace elliot gear for many years now,and I have recently purchased the above mentioned preamp.I've been playing about with it for a few hours and I'm trying to define a chosen sound.Obviously people definition's on what "there sound is" is unique to them.I would like to hear from anyone using this type of preamp,and also gather some info on what settings they use.I can't get over the size of this thing,it's only a 1U rack unit for starters,and then it's half the length,and then it's half the weight!!! Make's my Trace look like a monster preamp :) I can see 3 12ax7 preamp valves in the back of it,what comes as standard in these?? Any good replacement valves I should consider??

I'm too used to the Trace layout and workings,so for me this is a real first.The preamp itself seem's simple in comparison to my Trace preamp's,however I'm trying to suss out the Midrange and 5 way Frequency dial workings.I'm currently getting a weird dub sound on posistion 1,what do the other 4 posistions relate to?? I understand the ultra high/low features,and obviously the graphic EQ section.