Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg SVT-IIP Users

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Roundwound, Mar 19, 2006.

1. Roundwound

Roundwound

May 13, 2004
    Peoria, IL
    I just bought one of these yesterday (used of course) and used it in practice with my band tonight. Man this thing has some great tone!

From what I hear these units are rare, but mine is missing the nut that screws onto the 1/4" bright jack input. Where do I find this part? Would a place like Radio Shack have them?

In addition, I'd like to hear from any other SVT-IIP preamp users and how you dial in your favorite tones.

2. I have the SVT-II, which is the head version, and uses that preamp, tis very nice sounding! I have taken to running mine more or less flat, with a slight mid boost on the graphic EQ so i can click on the graphic eq to get a boost in punch

The nut should be fairly standard

- Will

3. SVT II Pro user here on top of an 810e cab. Music Man Stingray 5 with roundwound EB Regular Slinkies.

I play mostly rock - As of last Saturday night, I dialed all my pre-amp settings to 12 o'clock - I have the drive up to about 10 o'clock - gain is 'up' (I vary it - sometimes it is up around 10, others as low as 8 or 9 o'clock) and the Drive is up around 9 or 10 o'clock - from there I use the tone controls on the MMSR5 to dial up and down lows, mids, and highs on a 'per-song' basis. If I need to cut through - pump the mids a bit. If I need to provide a funky bottom, bump the lows...

The graphic eq is on, but set virtually flat (all bands centered) except the 90Hz (@ ~9db) and the 180Hz (@ ~9 or 10 db)

With the MMSR5 and those settings, I can get funky (Brick House or Play that Funky Music), gritty (Squeeze Box live, AC/DC, Thin Lizzy), smooth (Feel like Makin' Love, Brown Eyed Girl) - you name it. All with subtle adjustments to the MM tone controls.

--tz

4. Could you please give examples of what adjustments you make to the MM tone controls to get funky, gritty and smooth sounds. I'm considering buying one and this information would help me when trying one out in a shop. Thank you.

5. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    [​IMG]
    been using one for almost 10 years. Great preamp, similar to the pro without some of the overdrive characteristics. My only complaint is the internal fuses are some weird thing like 1/16 amp with a 100 ohm resistor INSIDE the fuse. I think you have to go to ampeg to find them. I know this because my gui****ist blew mine up one day.

6. Sure - On the MM I start with all tone controls dialed to their detented position (let's call that 12 o'clock)

Gritty, Aggressive Tone | John Entwistle/Geddy Lee et al.
    If I want a more aggressive, gritty texture to my sound I dial up the mid control a little - on this instrument, you do not need to push these controls much to get a dramatic response. I may push in a little bass for power - this usually depend on how many people are on the floor. Lots of people = more bottom end. I may also add some treble if it I am trying to emulate a Geddy Lee-ish sound but is it is AC/DC I am doing, the treble rolls back.

If I decide to use a pick, which I do on occasion, I will scale back the treble.

Older-school funky
    Then if we are moving from a song like 'In the Mood' by Rush to 'Play that Funky Music White Boy' by Wild Cherry, I will dial back the mid and treble to the detented spot and bump up the bass a little. That rounds out my sound and provides that booty-shakin' bottom end that makes songs like that (in a live setting) so dance friendly.

Slappin' and Poppin'
    In this case I am talking about songs like The Red Hot Chili Peppers' 'Higher Ground' or 'Backwoods' - I dial the mid from the detent back a little to take some edge off, push the treble and the bass up a touch. This allows for the thumb to thump and thunder and the pop to prickle and poke through.

Does that help?

--tz

7. Thanks for your response. This will help me when playing one again. Even when I didnt know what settings to try it was a very impressive bass.

Thanks

8. Roundwound

Roundwound

May 13, 2004
    Peoria, IL
    Very good information. While playing with it yesterday, I found for most songs the settings stayed at 12 o'clock with a flat eq. Like the rest of you, I notched the bass up for the "booty" songs and the mids on the hard stuff. The cool thing is you really don't have to push too far on the controls to get something worthwhile. It's smooth and sparkly, too...I think that's what they mean by the Ampeg tone.

9. The SVT-IIP is the preamp from the older SVT-II not the current SVT-2 Pro, thats why its different

10. Aha! I did not know that... That makes a small difference, doesn't it...

11. quite a big difference i think, they are voiced pretty differently im sure

12. Roundwound

Roundwound

May 13, 2004
    Peoria, IL
    What is a "standard" replacement tube (type and/or brand) for this unit? I assume it uses 3 tubes, but there could be more inside. I don't know how old mine are and when/if they'll go. It will be better to be safe than sorry if they are replaced soon.

13. Roundwound

Roundwound

May 13, 2004
    Peoria, IL
    I've done a little research and found that 12ax7 tubes are the ones to use, and I'll need 3. Let me know if you have any tips on replacing them. Since I'm only dealing with a preamp I'm assuming I don't have to do any biasing...Just pull them out and replace.

14. the pre in my SVT-II is three 12AX7's and a 12AX7 and two 12AU7's in the driver section, so, 3 x 12AX7's sounds about right, i retubed mine using higher gain JJ 12AX7's from bob, www.eurotubes.com

15. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    For tubes, 3x 12AX7 is correct.

The nut for the bright jack is not likely to be available from most standard electronics places. It is a Cliff style jack with the chrome nut trim piece, as used on Marshall, etc....

You might have to get a jack from magic parts etc, and swipe the nut set.

Or just get it from Ampeg service dept. I don't have a cost for it, but it can't be much.

There is a nut and a plastic washer that go on from outside. There is also a spacer washer that fits on the inside of the unit, which probably is still there. All should be part of the "nut set".

16. Roundwound

Roundwound

May 13, 2004
    Peoria, IL
    Thanks guys! I came home with some Fender Groove Tubes tonight and put them in. I just wiggled out the old ones and carefully put the new ones in...It was a 10-15 minute job. I'm in love, that's all I have to say. I have more growl yet smooth tone with better output now. The old tubes were Mesas, but they will be back-ups in case anything goes wrong down the road.

17. Roundwound

Roundwound

May 13, 2004
    Peoria, IL
    Jerrold, I've been trying to get a user manual for this model but have been unsuccessful. They aren't available on Ampeg's site, probably since it's an old model. Any tips on how I can find a .pdf or something online?

Thanks!

18. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    It's easy.

You give me your email address, and I email you a pdf.

19. Roundwound

Roundwound

May 13, 2004
    Peoria, IL
    PM sent. Thanks!!

20. Drpepper99uk

Drpepper99uk

Dec 31, 2004
    London,U.K
    Hello,

Just found this topic on the Ampeg SVT-IIP preamp. I have one and I have recently upgraded the preamp tubes to some JJ ECC83S tubes and it sounds much better than the stock Sovtek's that were inside it(thanks Jerrold for the PM about opening it up, simple 5 min job). Feature wise it's a pretty minimal looking amp compared to the latter SVP-PRO preamp, but then again in this case "less is more" and I prefer the simple effective layout. Tone wise it's beautiful, reproducing that wonderful SVT classic sound known to many a bass player with a deep crisp tube sound. I think mine was made in March '93 according to the serial number on the back.

Here's a pic of it rackmounted:

[​IMG]

Michael.