1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg SVT-IIpro tweaks

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by loend68, Feb 27, 2008.

1. loend68

loend68 Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2008
    NH
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses, T.C. Electronics
    I've been reading the thread on tweaking a Mesa 400+ and had some questions about my SVT IIpro.
    I play a Spector NS-2 with the US preamp and it seems that even with the 'pad' button in, I can't turn the gain past 9:00. I have my tube drive running about 9:00 as well, but it seems like I'm losing alot of volume because the clip light is lighting up. I've recently had it checked out, but it was just a standard music store tech doing. Is the something I can do with biasing? Preamp tube switch? (BTW I'm running it with an ampeg 8x10)

At rehearsal I'm running my volume at about 2:00 and it seems like I should have more volume?

2. loend68

loend68 Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2008
    NH
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses, T.C. Electronics
    Anybody?

3. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    You'd probably get much less preamp distortion and much more clean volume by setting your master to 10 and just using your gain knob as your overall volume control. Using even lower drive knob levels than 9 o'clock and also near flat tone knob/EQ settings on both your amp and (active?) bass would probably also help your situation a bunch too.

I dont know of any mods or alternative preamp/driver tubes for the SVT.

If you think your amp wasn't properly serviced/biased, you should definitely find a good tech and get it done.