1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg SVT MTI what schematic to use?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by defec1, Dec 26, 2017.

1. defec1

defec1

Apr 17, 2016
    Hi, I have a friends MTI era STV here that I need to recap/clean etc etc but I don't know what schematic I should use to do so. Maybe the V9 one? Normally I'd be okay if I couldn't find one but the power supply has been pretty hacked up over the years and I'd like to reverse it all back to stock. Any advice, thoughts, guidance is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    See attached service manual

I recapped my Skunkworks a couple of years back and had some custom caps made by Hayseed Hamfest | Life's Too Short for Restuffing Can Capacitors.

The price was reasonable and the wait for them to schedule a production run was only a few weeks.

A good source for pretty much anything Ampeg (partswise) Fliptops Home of Parts for Ampeg Lovers

My advice: Observe good high voltage safety protocols. And if you don't know what they are, send the amp to someone who does.

Good luck.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 26, 2017
  3. defec1

defec1

Apr 17, 2016
    Thanks. I just can't figure out what the value etc of the original caps are and what the stock voltage dropping resistors are. The cap cans are installed but other caps were added and wires cut etc. I've built/rebuilt too many tube amps over the years to list but never anything this power level.

4. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    Awesome! The information you need is in the service manual I attached to my earlier post. It's fairly common to cut the wires but leave the chassis mount cans in place. The wires are then attached to new axial capacitors located in the chassis which are held in my place with silicone or some other adhesive and perhaps a few zip ties.

Take a look at this Capacitor kit from Fliptops. It includes a pair of the 220K resistors that are strapped across the capacitors in the high voltage supply. Cap Kit for Ampeg SVT w/6550 V.1 - Product Details

I ordered most of my caps from Fliptops, but had Hayseed Hamfest manufacture new chassis mount cans in the original values.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2017