Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg SVT or Eden Traveler 400

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by thebassvolta, Dec 20, 2005.

1. thebassvolta

thebassvolta

Dec 19, 2005
    ok, i'm seeking some second opinions. i'm gigging (mostly outdoors) with ampeg 8 x 10, and i currently own an eden traveler, 400T model. which is 400 watts at 4 ohms. i'm interested in getting an original ampeg svt (from the late 60's early 70's) which is 300 watts at 4 ohms.

naturally, "the tone" comes from the older circutry and tubes of the vintage gear, so if it's possible, i know everyone would say go for the SVT, but does anybody know the difference, or pros and cons of each amp for my 8 x 10? i like the extra eq's and aural enhancer of the 400T, and it is illegidly 100 watts more. both are all tube, and the SVT weighs about 60 pounds more. that's about as much as i know, what about you guys? any knowledgeable advice or personal experience?

2. The traveler is a solid state amp isnt it?

If it is, its 400 watt rating will get shot out of the water by the 300 watt rating on the SVT, trust me, these things are loud!

I would say go with the SVT, they aint that heavy ;)

3. I have owned both... Even though I love the Eden sound and It's weight, the SVT Classic has a sound that, after playing through it you won't go back to a Tube/trans sound... the only problem is it's weight!!! MAN!!! it IS heavy!!!

4. you just need more porridge :p

5. mobax

mobax Supporting Member

Dec 31, 2002
    New Baltimore, MI
    I've owned both. If you don't mind the weight, you can't beat the SVT in my opinion.

6. permagrin

permagrin

May 1, 2003
    San Pedro, CA
    The Eden has a tube pre, but it's a solid state power amp.

The Eden is more versatile and will sound good with that cab, it'll have better definition and cleaner lows, and the SVT will not sound good at all at low (or even medium) volume like the Eden can... but really nothing but nothing is gonna sound like an SVT, and 300W of warm saturated tube power will blow away the Eden volume-wise. Just don't throw out your back lifting it to the top of that fridge (only 60 lbs more, eh?).

Personally I've always felt like the SVT setup is just way too much unless you're playing a huge show, and even then playing one (to me) is like trying to slow down when running down a steep hill, it's tough to hold back all that muscle. And the tone is what it is, muddy and sloppy. But again, for full out pants flapping bass, not much is gonna compare. Hope you've got an old P or Jazz bass to get the full effect. And earplugs would be a good idea. And a road crew.