Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg SVT or Mesa 400+

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rythmstick, Jan 21, 2004.

1. rythmstick

rythmstick

Sep 23, 2003
    Ontario Canada
    How would you people compare a SVT Classic to a Mesa 400+? if it helps I am trying to decide between the two for my 1967 Gibson EB2.

2. Droog

Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    PDX
    IMHO the SVT all tube is the generic tube amp sound. Everyone play through em'. The tubes can't be replaced by the end user (so I have been told). I think the 400+ is more versatile definately sounds great. I was deciding between the two and the 400+ just felt right for me. Plus I think Mesa is a better company, once again just my opinion.

3. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    You can always replace preamp tubes, if you unplug and let it cool down. Common sense.
    Output tubes require a little tech knowlege to bias correctly.

But, replacing tubes isn't an every week sort of thing......not a big deal.

4. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    The SVT has bias controls, the 400+ does not.

5. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    That is correct, and I was answering only for the SVT.

However, since you bring it up, some units w/o bias controls also require that you use the manufacturer's pre-selected tubes. Otherwise you run the risk of incorrect bias and *shorter tube life* (can be a lot shorter!).

6. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Yes. From what little of tubes I understand, over time the current requirements of tubes change hence the need for bias controls. Since the 400+ has none, when the current requirements of the tubes change, new tubes are recommended.

7. rythmstick

rythmstick

Sep 23, 2003
    Ontario Canada
    Thankyou for the thoughts, it seems like there is more than tube bias going on here but I appreciate the info I am not incrediablly knowledgable in tubes but I am looking for a great sound so which one would sound nicer?

8. Droog

Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    PDX
    What kind of a sound are you going for? What kind of music do you play? If you can, play them both. They are both great amps you can't go wrong either way. If its a toss up go with your gut. IMO once you drop over a grand on an amp quality really is not as much of an issue. Tone and how it feels to the individual is what should be the deciding factor.