Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg SVT or SVP PRO

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by thirdeye, Mar 1, 2002.

1. How different in tone is the ampeg SVP PRO compared to a SVT classic or SVT2pro?

Do the power amp tubes in the heads make alot of difference?

How overdriven can the SVP PRO go,does it fully distort or just give the string attack a bit more edge?

2. You can get a full distorted tone if you want. But it's not footswitchable. The SVP-BSP has that ability. The SWR IOD has that cability also.

The SVP-Pro has the SVT-2 preamp section, which is no slouch. The amount of overdrive is set by the drive control. I keep mine at 12 to 3 o'clock. Footswitchable EQ comes in handy.

No power amp tubes in the preamp. Just 12ax7's and a 12au7. But the SVT head obviously has tubes. I think I just clarified for myself...doh.

3. FalsehoodBass

FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    to pretty much reiterate.. yea the SVP Pro can do full on gnarly distortion, as well as just adding a little bite to your clean playing.. but it can only do one at a time.. if you want to change it, you gota turn a knob.. IMO the BSP can switch between both sounds, but neither is as good as what the PRO will get you...

and for live sound, i can't tell the difference between an all tube head and a tube preamp w/ a ss head... but i'm sure plenty of people would beg to differ...

4. Dragonlord

Dragonlord Rocks Around The Glocks

Aug 30, 2000
    Greece, Europe
  5. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

I had a SVT-5 Pro for a little while which uses the same pre-amp section as the BSP I believe. I have a SVP-Pro now with a Stewart 1.6 amp. Personally I greatly prefer the SVP-Pro rig the the 5 / BSP setup. The Pro just superior in everyway...

6. I think the CL would be even better IMO

And the power tubes do make a huge difference :D

7. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Roselle, IL
    I been here before....The power tubes make a large difference. The pre-amp will get you a very clean and fat Ampeg tone. You can get some growl out of the preamp but nowhere near the growl you can get with the Classic or the 2 PRO. If you want massive growl and a punchy, in-your-face tone, get the all-tube amp. If you want a more reliable and cleaner Ampeg sound, gor for the power amp and pre-amp sound.

I used to own the Aguilar DB680 (5 tubes and had some growl) and a QSC PLX 2402. I traded both of those items in for an SVT 2 PRO. You can't get REAL power tube crunch without power tubes! An $$$$ mistake on my part, but the greatness of my 2 PRO makes up for it.

8. timv

timv Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2000
    Chandler, AZ
    Why did someone bump a 4 year old thread???

9. Gearhead17

May 4, 2006
    Roselle, IL
    This question is still a valid question because the products are still available.

10. Dragonlord

Dragonlord Rocks Around The Glocks

Aug 30, 2000
    Greece, Europe
    Yep, I was wondering about the SVP preamps and how much different than the real deal they are, found this thread but it didn't have enough answers so I bumped it.

I've got a few questions, I think I'll hijack this thread:
    1) I have an Eden WT550, which is great but a bit to clean for my liking. To get a grittier sound, like ampegs, would it be better to get an SVP or a Fulltone Bassdrive? I'm not interested in much overdrive, just a warmer and dirtier tone.
    2) If I bought an SVP, should I put it in the FX loop in of the Eden or can I run it behind the Eden's preamp, running both simultaneously? Which way would be most recommended?
    3) SVP Pro or CL? I haven't played an SVT-CL, my only experience with ampegs is with an svt pro iii and a B5R.

11. 8mmOD

8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    USA
    I endorse & use Tech 21 pedals, Eminence loaded cabs, EMG pickups, Jim Dunlop picks & Ernie Ball Strings, BC Rich Basses.
    Well since you already hijacked this thread (its quite old so i am sure thats ok).... ;)

A sansamp BDDI on the front end... bass>bddi>amp would probably do this for you for a fraction of the price.

But if you add an SVP, it becomes your preamp. you dont run it "in the loop". There should be a power amp in jack on your head. plug it into that, it bypasses the internal pre and you control the amp from the SVP

The SVP CL is a very clean sounding preamp, but its a very different sound than the Eden. However, you'd get more "grit" from the SVP Pro

12. Gearhead17

May 4, 2006
    Roselle, IL
    1) I have an Eden WT550, which is great but a bit to clean for my liking. To get a grittier sound, like ampegs, would it be better to get an SVP or a Fulltone Bassdrive? I'm not interested in much overdrive, just a warmer and dirtier tone.

I think you would be better off getting the FullTone Bass Drive. That wil give you a real nice gritty sound and keeps the low end definition of your bass. Don't bother with another pre-amp; too many controls and you will not get enough grit.

2) If I bought an SVP, should I put it in the FX loop in of the
    Eden or can I run it behind the Eden's preamp, running both simultaneously? Which way would be most recommended?

Not sure what would work better, I hope someone else can help you.

3) SVP Pro or CL? I haven't played an SVT-CL, my only experience with ampegs is with an svt pro iii and a B5R.

The SVP-CL is based off of the SVT Classic sound and the SVP-Pro is based off of the 2 PRO and 3 PRO. Like I said before, the pre-amps are great for clean and reliable bass tones while Tube Amps are great for a totally tube tone. You will get the tube fatness mixed in with Tube Growl. Two different worlds of tone and you should try out a SVT Classic as soon as you can. I also suggest putting the Classic in standby mode so it warms up for at least 20-30mins. This will allow the tubes to exhibit their true tone. Keep the questions coming!!!

13. FenderP

FenderP Supporting Member

May 7, 2005
    Massachusetts
    I just got my SVP-CL tonight and it's fronting the Bergantino IP112. Owning a few old Ampegs I've been on that vintage tone quest with nice power and lightweight rig for gigs.

The Sansamp is supposedly decent, but based on the reviews of of the SVP-CL, I got that despite it being 2.5x in price. The 1st rehearsal was good. It is not as grungy as, say, my old B-25B, but it has that old Ampeg sound which the all-tube B-15R did not have.

So far, so good. I'm curious about the Sansamp, but I think the Ampeg will do me just fine :D

14. Fretless5verfan

Fretless5verfan Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2002
    Philadelphia
    IMO what the SVP-PRO does best is that sound that's right on the verge of breaking up. Light attack = little dirt, hard attack = big time grit! I LOVE it! :D