Ampeg SVT owned by Jaco on ebay

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by cheeseman, Apr 26, 2004.

1. Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    I noticed that, too...

Owned by Jaco PASTORIA (?!)

...hmmm...sketchy. :ninja:

Looking at his feedback, I believe he has possesion of the SVT; it just wasn't owned by Jaco. Bad sales tactic. Boo! :spit:

2. dat's nuthin ! I got James Jammerson's Aguilar DB750 and Jimmy Hendricks's Eric Clapton Signature Strat fur sale tHere a steel cumpleet w a curtifikate a awwthentiky sined buy Jay Leno
  3. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I've got a wine chalice made out of Beethovens skull. Honest! :rolleyes:
  4. Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles

I have got you all beat. I'm gonna be stupid rich when I put Joshua's horn on eBay! :D
  5. :eek:

Maybe Ill just see what I can get for Spanky's IBANEZ!!!
  6. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    The amp's probably worth the money he's asking, but anyone who'd make a claim like that without at least a COA has to be a bit daft. At least Noel Redding's Bandmaster had the words "This is a great amp!" signed by Noel himself in magic marker all over the blonde Tolex.
  7. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama

I never met Jaco but I did spend the night in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

That does it for me, I'm bidding.
  8. Fred Labbidie

Fred Labbidie Guest

Apr 22, 2004
    I think the guy selling is being perfectly honest and upfront.
    The amp was owned by.....Jaco Pastoria !

This brings up an interesting topic, though. Jaco was known to have acquired, and lost, a lot of equipment over the years.

If an amp really had been owned by Jaco Pastorius (not Pastoria!) but was not the amp that he did a lot of work with, would it be worth big bucks to you?

Second question: Hartke apparently made some cabinets for Jaco (that he used) at some point. Do you feel that Hartke should take out big ads (now) associating themselves with Jaco's legacy? After all, it's certain that he did his seminal work with an Acoustic 360.

I know what I think; but I'm curious what others think!
  9. Firstly,

If there was an ounce of proof I wouldn't really care at all. But with no proof I find that ad to be an annoyance.

A few months ago there was an AMP amp that was supposedly owned by Jaco. For proof the seller had a letter from the president of AMP. While people here were ripping on the auction, all it would take (if you were inclined to purchase such a thing) is a few phone calls to find out if the thing was legit. Where AMP was a small company, and supposedly had a record of having that amp with that serial number registered to Jaco and it was only 15-20 years ago. Ampeg is a rather large company, and that head, if it did belong to Jaco, was probably a second hand acquisition, hence no registration proof.

If Hartke has the approval of Jaco's estate, and Jaco's estate gets paid- all power to them.

I didn't like the idea of "Revolution" being used to sell tennis shoes, but it was licensed. :(
  10. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Nope. Nostalgia is for ninnies.
  11. Fred Labbidie

Fred Labbidie Guest

Apr 22, 2004

Eric Clapton is selling "Blackie", his main Strat for years, at auction later. Expected price is very, very high. Is it nostalgia or history? Nostalgia is someone sitting around wishing for "the good old day" and fondling an old guitar. Some celebrity owned pieces are historical. And....that was my question about the "Jaco Amp". If it's not "the amp" used on, say, his solo album, does anyone care? Better yet, if it was the amp used on his solo album, does anyone care?
  12. I guess it all depends on how big of a Jaco fan you are, how celebrity obsessed you are and who wants it.
  13. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    ...and whether or not you believe it was actually his. :oops:
  14. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    Without authentication it has no more value than any other amp like it. Remember "John" Voight's Lebaron?
  15. AndroWal

Sep 28, 2003
    Ojai, CA
    I heard and saw Jaco play with his Word Of Mouth band in NYC a couple of times as well as in his trio with Hiram and Dennard. One time with WOM he did play through an 8x10 Hartke cab. I recollect that there was an Ampeg SVT on top. Mike Stern was on guitar. It was a great show. Another time at the Bottom Line, in the first piece his Acoustic died. The band kept playing as Jaco and his techs frantically got the Acoustic running again.

As for Jaco the man, what is is what is. But in my opinion, his sense of melody was so substantial, beautiful and mostly unmatched. Manring is one of the only more well know players that comes close.

16. It was addressed on .