Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg Svt Pro 4 Question...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by CustomFbass, Oct 13, 2003.

1. CustomFbass

CustomFbass

Sep 14, 2003
    Ontario
    I got my repaired head back the other day...and i popped it into my rack, with my power conditioner, tuner, and compressor. I plugged into my head and let her rip. There was a massive clipping noise coming from my cab. I have an 810E brand new. I thought my head was still messed up. So i took it back to long and mcquade and we tested it. NOTHING was wrong...really weird eh? Now we came to the conclusion that its the POWER where i was plugging in to. I plugged into a different outlit across the room and the sound went away...Has anyone ever expereinced this?

2. notanaggie

notanaggie Guest

Sep 30, 2003
    Not sure what you mean by a "clipping noise"....

Do you mean a nasty hum?

That can be funky outlet, so can noises, sizzling etc.

Usually all outlets have the same voltage or close, so I wouldn't think low voltage would have been it, but its possible.

Or if it was on the same circuit with some obnoxious appliance that spews garbage onto the power line..

3. CustomFbass

CustomFbass

Sep 14, 2003
    Ontario
    Hey, thanks for the reply...

MY guitar player also plugs into my power conditioner...do you think that would be a problem maybe?

Anyways...It would make a clipping noise...like POP...as if something wasnt hooked up right...or that i had a dead battery in my bass, but it did it with several other basses and patchchords...

There wasnt any hum to it...it would be it i slapped my B string. Not even hard...no other string did it though.

But plugging into a different outlit in a different room solved my problem.

4. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    Does plugging something into different outlets make a difference??

5. CustomFbass

CustomFbass

Sep 14, 2003
    Ontario
    Do you mean by plugging my head and rack gear into different places in my power conditioner? Or plugging into a different outlit?

If you mean Outlit yes...that solved my problem. I havent tried switching where things are plugged in.

6. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    Yeah, that's what I mean... That's helpful to know now ;);)

7. CustomFbass

CustomFbass

Sep 14, 2003
    Ontario
    I may have overlooked the fact that when i plug in, the outlit at his house dont have a really tight fit...and possibly this sound is caused by the plug being loose and hanging out slightly? I plugged it in good and then rigged something up so that it wouldnt come loose and the sound seemed to go away...im hoping ive come to the end of this trouble. it doesnt sound cool when it happens...but we'll have to see next practice.