Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg SVT pro 4 what do you think?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tanuki, Jan 10, 2005.

1. tanuki

tanuki Bass Minotaur

Dec 13, 2004
    bristol, england
    I was just wondering, i only met one other person who has one, he said he had started using another pre-amp because it was a bit of a toneless wonder...

I loved mine right up till i borrowed some guys SVT classic for a gig, now i am not sure, its hard as hell and never lets me down but im using an old silverface musicman 65 at the moment and the tone seems a lot better...

so, anyone got any opinions on the amp?
    id be really intereste to hear them...........

2. csholtmeier

csholtmeier

Feb 8, 2004
    omaha, ne
    They are a bit sterile sounding. I like a bit of overdrive in my sound, and the 4Pro doesn't deliver in that respect.

3. Matt Call

Matt Call Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    Well... I like 'em. Just bought one.

4. i like mine, but i would rather have a classic if they didn't weight so much

5. tanuki

tanuki Bass Minotaur

Dec 13, 2004
    bristol, england
    dont get me wrong, i love my amp, its never let me down, (i did blow up several eden 115 cabs with it, to the point where the shop gave me a free upgrade to the 118 cab as long as i didnt come back for a while!!)

You can allways rely on it and the DI is killer for those reluctant sound man gigs, never sounds quite as sweet as the old musicman amp but has the advanatage of being easy to fix and being replacable under warrantee, if the musicman dies i have no idea where to find another good one....

totally dependable for recording aswell, i went into a session with an eden head and we just couldnt get the right sound out of it, the ampeg i just plug in and i have a good sound... if a bit sterile, thats the perfect word for it.........