Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg SVT-PRO Preamp Vs. SVT-2PRO Amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mettec, Aug 29, 2005.

1. mettec

mettec

Aug 22, 2005
    Minneapolis
    Ok! I know that the SVT-PRO Preamp is identical to the SVT-2PRO Head with the acception of the all Tube Power Amp section. I can't afford the 2PRO so I thought of purchasing the SVT-PRO Preamp with a good 1200 Watt Power Amp. Obviously the 2PRO will sound warmer and have a more natural colored tone, but I would like to know how they do compare sound wise and what amp should I look into for a similar power? I'm also looking into either 2 Genz Benz GB410T-XB2, Schroeder's 410 and 310212, Bergantino's H322 and NV425 cabs or Ampeg's BXT/ Classic HLF 410 Cabs. Looking for opinions.Thanks :bassist:

2. Vinpaul

Vinpaul

Aug 24, 2005
    Melbourne, Aus
    I guess what youd be getting is a tone similar to the svt 3 pro, but with a lot more power and headroom which seems to be its only downside, si Id say itd be rad

3. I personally think the SVP-CL sounds better, buth thats just me :)

If you do want that great all tube setup, you could look for one second hand, they can be picked up fairly cheap (well, in compairison to the new price), also, if you get the chance, you might want to try the old SVT II (non-pro), but second hand is definatly a way go

I guess you could always upgrade the power amp later on tho, to an SVT300 for example, but i have only seen it in a manual, never actually around on ebay or that (it is just the power section from the SVT II )

4. xb100

xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    I played a svt 3pro which has the svp-pro pre amp in it with a goliath III cab the other day and it souneded killer!

-rob

5. 8mmOD

8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    USA
    I endorse & use Tech 21 pedals, Eminence loaded cabs, EMG pickups, Jim Dunlop picks & Ernie Ball Strings, BC Rich Basses.
    The SVP Pro isnt the same as the 3 pro's preamp. The tube gain/drive especially works very differently in both. But I agree with you that the 3 pro sounds killer. But like i_got_a_mohawk, I also prefer the SVP CL.

6. xb100

xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    My band I thought they were the same pre, oh well.

A cool thing about the 3pro is that it has a pre out so you can hook a more powerfull power amp up to it for more head room.

7. 8mmOD

8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    USA
    I endorse & use Tech 21 pedals, Eminence loaded cabs, EMG pickups, Jim Dunlop picks & Ernie Ball Strings, BC Rich Basses.
    true dat, in the past used a 3 pro to slave a QSC RMX 850 and run two SVT 410HE + two SVT 15E cabs....

8. my SVT II has a bit like that, not like its the same deal there really tho, more headroom? hah!