Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg SVT- Pro4

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Roger Heroux, Oct 1, 2000.

1. Well I must say I'm disappointed about one thing with this Pro4. There is no ground lift switch for the amp or DI.It is my first time using a monster amp. The tones are awesome! Very very clean. My Carvin LB75 was just a singin.But wouldn't you know,the lighting tech had all the music stand light on a dimmer. The second my fingers were off the fret board.Buss,buss,buss

2. If you need a ground lift switch, you've got a bigger electrical problem. I use mine in a church with dimmer switches and have no buzz or hiss at all. If you have a passive bass, the problem will be worse from outside interference. Get a good ground where you play and get the board on the same ground.

SB

3. Doug

Doug

Apr 5, 2000
    Buffalo, N.Y.
    What Scott said. I used to own one of these and never had a problem with outside interference or grounding. If you really want to get some good tones out of that I can recommend some good preamp tubes.

4. Doug...

I just found yesterday that if you cut the 800-900hz range out completely, you get a nice SWRish tone with solid bass and highs. I used to boost in this area in accordance with some advice I received that this area would clean up the pitch of the note. I say much better without it!

SB

5. Doug

Doug

Apr 5, 2000
    Buffalo, N.Y.
    Yeah, you can get a good number of different tones from it. I'm not a fan of the clean sound for the type of music I play. I prefer a grindier tone. Glad you find what your'e looking for.

6. Thanks to every one.I was not the only one with a bussing problem. They had three ground positions on their amps an it didn't help. The house was clean thank God. It was my first time using so much power.I agree bi-amping would have been better.I would have needed adaptors to run 1/4".I love the sustain it gave the notes. The back-up singers twenty feet away said all they could hear was bass.I never had an amp carry that far.I changed the angle of the cabs and they were fine.My cabs are different ohms as well.I like the feature Carvin's R1000 has with two volumn and a master volumn.

Thanks again; Rog

7. stevekim

stevekim

Feb 11, 2000
    los angeles, ca
    doug,

just out of curiousity. what do you have your amp set at?

steve

8. Doug

Doug

Apr 5, 2000
    Buffalo, N.Y.
    Steve, I have a very unorthodox setup. Well sorta.:) I don't have my SVT 4 anymore. I sold it about 8 mos. ago. Nice amp, but I wanted an all-tube SVT. My setup is this:
    I use the Ampeg SVP-PRO preamp stocked with Telefunken 12AX7's and 12AU7's. Into the FX loop I run my Sonic Maximizer and chorus pedal. I go from the preamp out into the back of the SVT. I use the Ampeg 8x10" cab. I also have an A/B switch on my line in from my bass so I can switch back and forth between the SVP-PRO and the SVT preamp. My settings on the SVP-PRO are:

Gain at 10 o'clock
    Bass at 10 o'clock
    Mid at 9 o'clock
    Frequency at 2
    Treble at 1 o'clock
    Hi boost in
    All other boost are out
    Don't use EQ
    Volume at 9 o'clock

I can't recall what I used to set my SVT IV at, but I know it was different from this.

Ampeg's are known to be mid rangy so I prefer to cut the mids slightly. I get incredible tone with a grind on the top end. Fills in nicely for the music I play.