Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg SVT Questions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by pablomigraine, Mar 19, 2006.

1. pablomigraine

pablomigraine Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 9, 2005
    New York
    VP & Managing Director - Willcox Basses
    SVT II Pro: 300 tube watts got enough guts to handle 5 string tuned to A standard thru a 610HLF, or will it just distort before getting to a decent volume

SVT III Pro: 450 SS watts, same question..... I've heard its underpowered.....

Playing fingerstyle metal....

2. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    The II will have tons more usable volume compared to a III Pro. Are you lookint at the II, or the 2 Pro? As for farting out, that depends more on the cab you use. The Ampeg 610 goes lower than the 810, but I have found that neither are overly great for my standard tuned 5 string...

3. pablomigraine

Feb 9, 2005
    New York
    what cabinet do you (or would you) use with an SVT II pro?

4. I dont have an SVT 2 pro however I use an old SVT1540HE ( ported 15" + sealed 4x10" + horn ) and it has no problems with the B string on a Warwick Corvette. The SVT15E + SVT410HE would be the same.

5. el_Kabong

el_Kabong

Jul 11, 2005
    If you're looking for ampeg bottom end, the svt410hlf has a lot of it. It has the same -10db rolloff point as the svt18 and the svt215. Your schro 410 might pair nicely with the 4ohm svt18 as a bottom. You'd want to try it first but that combination would certainly move some air!

6. pablomigraine

Feb 9, 2005
    New York
    yeah, i tried an SVT II pro at the store the other day thru a 610 hlf and loved it. I'm having alot of troubles with my Ashdown and may sell....... Just worried about teh SVT II pro being loud enough with eitrher the 410 or 610, and the actual all tube power section having enough push to handle the low A without crapping....

7. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    My favorite cabs for tube heads that have huge bottom are the Berg NV series. Other than that, the only Ampeg cabs I really like are the 15 loaded ones. The 215 should be pretty good. Mesa cabs are also very nice and go plenty low, but are pretty expensive. Don't worry about power. My Mesa 400+ (300 watts all tube) is louder than any Ampeg SVT-4 Pro I have played through live.

8. s-curl

s-curl

Mar 16, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    I used to have a IIIpro and I never liked it.

An SVT on the other hand...

9. s-curl

s-curl

Mar 16, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    I used to have a IIIPro and I never really liked it.

An all tube SVT on the other hand...

10. Why? There's nothing about tubes that makes them less able to handle lower frequencies.