1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

AMPEG SVT questions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by airplanehuh, Dec 1, 2006.

1. airplanehuh

airplanehuh

Aug 11, 2006
    I just got a skunkworks limited svt recently. it sounds awesome, its near perfect. the only questions i have really are: does anyone know of a good tech in california (northern, preferably) that specializes in svt's? also, when flipping the standby switch into standby position from being powered on it always sends a pop through the speakers. has anyone had this problem and know how to solve or any tips? it's not a big deal but i bet it wears my speakers out and will probably damage them at some point. i suppose i could just always turn my amp off before flipping the switch to standby as a work around.
    thanks for any input.
    also, kind of off topic, but if anyone knows any info or where to find info on roland space echos i'd be interested.

2. okabass

okabass

Mar 19, 2005
    Finland,Lahti
    HI

Can anybody tell me more about "skunkworks" nickname. What is the story behind it? Thanks.

3. ChenNuts44

ChenNuts44

Nov 18, 2001
    Davenport, IA
    When you switch standby to on and vice versa, there will be an audible pop. This is due to the charging and discharging of capacitors in the circuit. This type of pop will occur even if you shut off your amp without first going to standby. Some designs have audible pops while others do not. If this is what you're hearing, it's pretty normal and I wouldn't worry unless the pop is at an extreme level.

Edit: You may also be hearing an impulse from the switch bouncing. While there are ways to "fix" or reduce this, I still wouldn't worry too much unless the pop is at an extreme level.