Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg SVT settings?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by iceblinko, Feb 28, 2004.

1. iceblinko

iceblinko

Jul 15, 2003
    Ny
    I was just wondering what settings some of you use on your Svt's. I've had one for a few months and haven't found a setting I totally love. I guess I want a punchy mid sound... warm with an edge. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks all

*tom*

2. slacker

slacker

Nov 27, 2001
    Portland Oregon
    An interesting idea...

Sometime, obscure the controls, or close your eyes, or blindfold yourself, and adjust knobs until you are happy with the tone. Now look at the controls and ask yourself if you would have set them in that fashion if you had used visual cues, instead of auditory cues.

Just an idea.

anderbass likes this.
  3. It's very hard to guess what sort of tone someone else imagines in their head. You are the best expert at finding the sound that you seek.

That said, I suggest not using the Ultra Low switch as it removes a lot of the middle frequencies in order to produce a sub-bass tone.

First, start off with the Ultra Hi and Low switches disengaged and the tone controls at 12:00.

You may want to try boosting each of the five midrange frequencies to see if adding one of them produces the sound you want.

Alternatively, try cutting at each of the five frequencies and see what that does as well.

Add or remove some bass and treble and see what effect it has. Less bass and less treble means more mids. Try engaging the Ultra Hi/Low switches and listen to their effect.

Basically, you have to try several combinations of settings until you hone in on the sound that you seek. If none of this knob twiddling gets you the tone you are after, perhaps you need to rethink your choice or bass, amp, or speakers.

Hope this helps!

4. It all depends on the sound you're looking for... i should start with the amp flat and adjust the five midrange frequencies, i use mine in 4... and then go from there, I keep it flat with a little boost on the midrange...
    :D

5. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    There are some suggested settings in the owner's manual of the SVT-CL that might serve as a good starting point.

http://www.ampeg.com/manuals/SVT-CL.PDF

I'm sure that these are probably chosen when using an SVT-810 so if your cabinet goes deeper, brighter, you might want to adjust the bass and treble accordingly.

6. I thought about amp settings... but there was so much to it... it made me tired...
    but, like 12bass, slacker and rulyongo said... come early, get in-situ, null your amp, put on the blindfold, then cut and boost by ear... and try to stand out in the bar to listen or do a band sound check with some one standing out there that you trust to guide you... PS, they should know left from right and that raising the hand means raising the volume... and that when they twist their thumb and index clockwise, that it will appear as counter-clockwise to you on stage...

attack style (slap/pop, pizzicato, force, plectrum, bow)
    plectrum (material, surface area, gauge, grip)
    strings (brand/model, material/outer winding, gauge/scale, tension, tuning, muting, age, crud build-up)
    bridge/nut (material, mass, brand/model)
    instrument (bass guitar, fretless bass guitar, upright bass, brand/model, solid body/hollow body, wood type)
    neck (maple, rosewood, ebony, bolted, through-neck, neck size)
    pickups (brand/model, pickup selector switch, piezo pickup, volume and tone settings, passive/active)
    microphone (type, brand/model, mic location)
    bass to pedals lead cord (length, quality/condition, straight/curly)
    pedal board (brands/models, volume pedal, compressor settings, line driver, sonic stomp settings, small leads)
    pedals to amp lead cord (length, quality/condition, straight/curly)
    amplifier (brand/model, tube/transistor, Class, power soak?, combo/piggyback, clear/dirty, settings, stage location, tube bias, tube condition)
    speakers (brand/model, speaker wires, cabinet, open back/closed, diameter, quantity, horn?)
    room geometry (size, shape, ceiling height, corners, ceiling construction)
    room furniture (bar type and location, mirrors, carpeting/drapes, wall hangings, tables/chairs, furnishings)
    room construction (windows/doors, adjoining rooms, floor, entrance next to stage)
    room contents (bar machines, cash register, public address, air conditioners, blenders, ice machines, fans, fluorescent/neon lighting, pool tables, televisions, 60 cycle A/C hum)
    people (occupancy, conversations, shouting waiters, fellow musicians, noodlers, band wives table location, onstage levels fluctuation, loudmouths, different songs, drummer wakes up/nods off, cell phone clear reception areas, kids, barking dogs, noisy dishes, beer pumps)
    indoor/outdoor air (temperature, humidity, sunshine, wind, atmospheric pressure)
    outside events (traffic, passers-by, construction, factories, drive-throughs, fog horns, harbor fronts, horns, sirens, airport, trains, subways)

Last edited: Jan 14, 2016
  7. I run mine with the tone control on 4. Bass about 1 o'clock , mids at 3 o'clock and highs between 1 and 3 o'clock depending on the room. Master at around 2 o'clock and gain (volume) around 9 or 10 o'clock. No buttons pushed. The ultra bass pushed in sounds great in a private setting but i don't care for it in a band mix.
    This is with a P bass with flats with the tone around 40% and the volume around 70 or 80% depending on the song. If I'm playing something that requires a little more "bite" I'll crank the tone on the bass to 80 to 100% depending on what I need. I play classic and southern rock and some country with these settings.
    Different basses and different types of music are going to be different settings from what I use most likely.

8. Basically i run mine flat with a slight hit of bass and slight turn to the left on the treble. Moi, perfecto.

9. Jim C

Jim C Spector#496:More curves than Sophia + better sound Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Depends on the cabinet and the room but for the most part the tone controls are usually pretty close to flat with a mid bump on position 2 or 3; with an SVT-CL input volume at noon and output volume as appropriate as I like clean.

With my Spector bass (set flat) and a cabinet with a tweeter, I will sometimes roll the treble back to 10:30 - 11:00