Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg SVT seventies

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by guybassman, Feb 12, 2006.

1. guybassman

guybassman

Feb 8, 2003
    Hi , just bought this Ampeg and going to get it next week.Are they really as good as there reputation?

Attached Files:

2. sedan_dad

sedan_dad Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2006
    Mudsock,Ohio
    Yes!
    There is no equal.
    I've had a couple and have never found anything better for raw power and fullness.
    I played through a Eden over the weekend and would choose a svt anyday.

3. Yes.

4. Bassstud1

Bassstud1 Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2001
    LaPorte Indiana USA
    Great sound but I had one that seemed to eat tubes every 6 months.

5. If you fall in love with the amp and it's tone then definitely have it serviced by someone who knows what they're doing. Meaning that they've serviced SVTs before and not just tube amps.

Mine sounded phenomenal with its 30 year old tubes though I had a new sextet and a few pre tubes installed three years ago. It has a lot of hours on it and it's just fantastic.

6. Bassstud1

Bassstud1 Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2001
    LaPorte Indiana USA
    That's the general reply I get back. I must have been to hard on my tubes moving them around when it was cold. If I was looking for that sound I would buy another.

7. guybassman

guybassman

Feb 8, 2003
    The guy i bought it from retubed the preamp with Tube-arts and the poweramp with Mesaboogie tubes. Is that ok?

8. I'm not trying to cheerlead; I'm just trying to offer some balance based on my experience.

guybassman-- As I would tell anyone, getting an SVT can and usually is an ordeal. Without going into a long drawn-out discourse I'll simply say this: Just because one finds an SVT doesn't mean the journey is over. The "newest" vintage SVT that can be had is over 25 years old. In the 1970's these amps cost probably the equivalent of $3000 in today's money. Therefore the vast majority went into use as touring, outdoor production backline. Over the years they've passed thru many hands and travelled thousands of miles on busses, planes, and band vans. Most have never been serviced. More likely they've been patched (or botched?) just enough to "get on down the road to the next gig". The fact that it works at all truly is a testament to the workhorse that it is.

9. As long as it's somewhat functioning correctly, it'll give you the opportunity to hear whether or not you love the tone.

10. alanbass1

alanbass1

Feb 8, 2006
    London
    I owned one and loved it. Trouble is the weight just got me to switch in the end. Still, wish I hadn't sold the old girl.

11. THB_bassman

THB_bassman

Oct 11, 2005
    socal
    As I near 48 years old and close to 30 years of playing, I decided I NEEDED to own another '70s SVT.
    I got it from a pawn shop for $1200, and it looks worn, needed a few knobs, a set of the feet it stands on, a couple preamp tubes (all from Fliptops) and some repair work on the mid-range coil which had fallen off the circuit board, taking the wires with it.
    An easy fix, And knock on wood - this baby sounds sweet.

So yes, there's nothing like it.
    :cool:

12. +1!

I had a 72' SVT and a 73' 8X10 that I carried for 11 years all over the world. In a moment of insanity I retired the rig in favor of a lighter SS/2X410 rig and soon lost my desire to haul the load. A few months ago I lost the SVT and the cab in a fire that destroyed most of my gear. Out of the ashes I have acquired a DB750 (Still NOT an SVT) and a Bergantino 6x10. I have to say that while the 750 is definitely not an SVT, it is a damn fine amp and for my purposes, a much better choice at this time. I hate to fuel any one's GAS but the Bergantino KILLS any 8x10 cab I have ever heard and a PAIR of them must be INSANE!!

I have been playing flats on my Sadowsky Vintage NYC (Ash/Maple 4) and had just put on a set of Sadowsky Bright Nickels (HIGHLY recommended) when I hear a knock on my studio door today. It is the SAME GUY that I got my 72' SVT/73' 8X10 from back in 1981!! He recently moved back (in my neighborhood, in fact about 200 yards from my house!! :hyper: ) home from Nashville after 18 years of studios and touring and he came by to see if I had any strings (gave him a set of Sadowsky flats for his P bass and a set of Sadowsky Nickels for his Jazz) I had him strap on my Sadowsky and rip for about 20 minutes (he is a MONSTER player!!!!!!!!!) through my 750/NV610 rig. H U G E Smiles :D ensue and he says simply "That is the coolest rig I have ever played"! That is a pretty big compliment coming from a guy who has been on the Grand Ole Opry 20 or 30 times!!! I invited him to bring his Vintage Jazz and P for a run through it tomorrow....we will have to put that in another thread!!

Needless to say, I miss my Ampeg gear terribly and can tell you that there really is no substitute for the real thing, but if you're in the market check out the 750 and one of Jim Bergantinos Masterpieces before you buy anything!!!!

Peace.

T

13. guybassman

guybassman

Feb 8, 2003
    I've read on this forum that the SVT's with white rocker switches are from the Selmer/Magnavox era 1976-1979.
    They are supposed to sound the better then other SVT's. Anyone any expirience?

14. nysbob

nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    I have one from that era. I bought it used for $450 in 1984. Since then I have this amp exclusively for everything from large scale touring to club venues.

It has never so much as coughed in 21 years. I think I've re-tubed it 3 times in that period. I've dutifully checked out modern amps as they're released and never found anything that remotely made me want to sell and "upgrade". It's fat, warm and had gobs of headroom which I've found to be absolutely necessary when using effects. If it ever died, I'd pay whatever the going rate is for another one, but for some reason I'm not too worried about that happening. ;)

15. THB_bassman

THB_bassman

Oct 11, 2005
    socal
    I'm curious as to this remark, and if it is founded in truth.

16. svtb15

svtb15 Commercial User

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig
    I recently aquired a 1972 SVT head. I have been going from one SS to another and not had the pleasure of the bloom on the bottom that this amp has. It needs a little minor work. I retubed it and re capped it already. I love my SVT2 non-pro too. Since I dont really play all that loud I have been getting about 3 years to a set of tubes. I have played all the top of the heap SS amps and none even can compare to the Girth this amp has. I have been using flats on my Sadowsky % and Alleva Coppolo 4 and 5 sting basses for a few years. And I Totally Agree with Tommixx about the Sadowsky Flats. To me They feel better than any other flats for my puposes.
    I have been using my 1972 SVT with 2 Aguliar GS-112 cabs. And it covers what I need them to do. However I am really intrigued by the Db750 that Tommixx described for my road gigs.

17. 8mmOD

8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    USA
    I endorse & use Tech 21 pedals, Eminence loaded cabs, EMG pickups, Jim Dunlop picks & Ernie Ball Strings, BC Rich Basses.
    That sounds like a comment made by someone with a '76-'79 SVT for sale :D

18. guybassman

guybassman

Feb 8, 2003
    No , absolutely not. Just bought it and going to get it next saturday. Never played on a 70's SVT...Just read this on a review on Harmony-central. My expectations are high since i only read very good things about the SVT...

19. guybassman

guybassman

Feb 8, 2003
    I'm really qurious if this amp is really going to be as good as said...

20. guybassman

guybassman

Feb 8, 2003
    Another picture...

Attached Files: