Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg SVT Toggle Head?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MrFortuneCookie, Dec 12, 2001.

1. Hey MrFortuneCookie,
    I had a look at that auction earlier today. It's just a regular SVT. I don't know what he means by "Toggle" because all the switches (except the "standby") are Rocker switches. Of course, by regular I mean the bitchenest tube amp on the planet. 300 watts, all tube. Two channels. The switches are for Low boost, High boost on both channels and the third one on channel one is a mid frequency selector. Loud as hell. It looks to be an early '70s version, maybe even late 60s. Definately pre '75. The panel that the rocker (not toggle) switches are on doesn't look original, but I could be wrong about that. Moving the standby switch to the front is not major surgery so it's probably reversable (if you wanted to). Overall it looks like it's in good shape. Seller has all positive feedback so if he says it works it most likely does. I'd think that $1050's a bit much, I wouldn't pay any more than $850-$900. That seems to be around the going price. I got mine for $900, dead mint with a professional flight case.
    cheers.

2. Rickenbackerman

Rickenbackerman

Apr 17, 2001
    Laurel MD
    I think he means by "toggle head" that the power and polarity switches are toggle style (pre '75), as opposed to the later rocker style power and polarity switches(post '75).
    The panel that the frequency shaping rockers is on looks like it's been painted, that's all. I think so cuz I painted mine too... looks like a nice one, but the pictures leave a lot to be desired.

3. Ah, I see now! I forgot that the early ones had toggle sitches for power and polarity, haven't seen one up close in a while.... Post '75 don't have the polarity switch either. It probably is painted, I'd ask the seller about it. Damn, I love SVTs!

4. Thanks, yeah, i mean i wasn't going to spend a grand on it, mostly i wanted info on it and basically early SVTs. So how does a head of it's time sound? Like let's say that one for example?

5. Rickenbackerman

Rickenbackerman

Apr 17, 2001
    Laurel MD
    Like thunder. LOUD thunder. :)