1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ampeg SVT v. Fender Bassman for Country Music?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by AndyMan, Apr 5, 2009.

1. AndyMan

AndyMan Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 17, 2000
    Columbus, Ohio
    http://myplaceproductionsllc.com/
    Hey Guys--

Picked up a good country gig with a prominent local/regional country band, that does "Outlaw Country."

My choice for a rig is:

Ampeg SVT-VR with the 810 cab

OR

Fender Bassman "sound" i.e.:
    Fender TBP-1 into a Carvin DCM 1500 OR an Ampeg SVT Classic with KT88s, with the Fender pre bypassing the Classic's pre,
    either into a Fender Pro 215 cab.

I'm leaning towards the Fender Bassman sound with a P bass.

Comments? Suggestions?

Thanks!

2. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Outlaw Country -

Go for the SVT. I love Bassman amps, but the SVT will cover the territory much better.

3. FFTT

FFTT

Mar 15, 2009
    The sound of the VR is good, but the reliability has had issues
    as well as the issue of LOUD Technologies moving their operation to
    Asia.

I just went through this big time and am very happy I listened
    to folks here and my amp tech and bought the Reeves Custom 225.

All tube 100% hand wired, made in USA and known for rock solid roadworthiness
    and tone that will please even the most critical tone hounds.

Reeves Amplification
    11122 Luschek Drive
    Cincinnati, OH

513-451-1071

Bill is a great guy to work with.
    http://www.reevesamps.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=27&Itemid=50

4. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    i'd recommend this amp for ANY situation:

svt-vr-svt810-av-2.

5. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    Amp is the easy part.
    What about the hat and shirt? :p

6. johnk_10

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    :D!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. It won't really matter what amp you use if you a "modern" active bass with tinny rounds. The modern punchy sound of 10 inchers wouldn't do no either, no matter what head you use. When I hear the term "country" I hear 15s. Now we hear the likes of Bon Jovi on "Country stations" so who knows. NONE of it matters if your sound is going to wind up passing threw a lousy soundman.

The best head you can use is your own. Have fun! (I vote Bassman with 15s.)

8. Clank

Clank

Jan 7, 2008
    Huntington Beach
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Strings
    Not to hijack the thread but has anyone ever personally had reliability issues with their VR? I keep seeing it posted, but never as "I had one, it gave out on me." always as the vague third party slam.

As for you amp choice, I'd go with the VR. I think it would go great with outlaw country.

9. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX

I had one of the CL's a while back- lots of touring, 4-5 nights per week with stage hands tossing it around, no issues whatsoever. I preferred the tone of my '69, but the CL sounds good. I'm not sure how the VR compares to the CL for reliability though.

I'm not doing big tours these days, so I've downsized - I'm too old to lug SVTs around !

10. It seems that either choice will get the job done and one might work better than the other depending on the room your in and your choice of Bass. The Ampeg is gonna be a lot to hump around - but you get all the goodness is brings so it may be worth it.

11. AndyMan

AndyMan Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 17, 2000
    Columbus, Ohio
    http://myplaceproductionsllc.com/
    I have a USA VR that has Loud's name on it. I took it to my (renowned) amp tech and he had to replace some cheap .79 parts--not sure what--but he's given it a clean bill of health.

I'm leaning Bassman/15s. I have been corrupted by Billy Cox on Hendrix's Band of Gypsies. Man that dude's bass tone is sick!!!

This from an Ampeg guy!!!

12. +1 to the 15's.

13. I don't know much, but I know Hendrix wasn't country!!! He was out of this world!!!

14. johnk_10

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    i have lots of 15" (four of them) cabs and i still would recommend the VR with an 810. i haven't had a single problem with mine (made in Vietnam) and it sounds awesome for any playing style or type of music. IMO, you just can't get a bad sound out of it. to me, they still are the king of all bass amps.

15. FFTT

FFTT

Mar 15, 2009
    I'm also with you on trying 15's again, but the Reeves delivers wonderful lows through
    my 8X10 and with 256 watts RMS into 4 Ohms leaves nothing wanting vs. an SVT.

Now for selecting which 15" cab, I can't help you since I'm still looking myself, but
    for some of the best tones I've ever heard out of a bass amp, you really owe it to yourself to consider the Reeves 225

16. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    I'm partial to 15's as well, so I'd go Bassman with the 215.

17. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    The real answer is that either the SVT or the TBP-1 rig will sound wonderful as long as you and the band kick it. I'm partial to SVT's too, but there's no denying the greatness of the TBP-1. I'd "audition" them both and see what you think.

18. sedan_dad

sedan_dad Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2006
    Columbus,Ohio
    Are we talking Randy?

19. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    I am currently using an SVT-CL with a Whappo for country - It seems to get the job done very nicely.

20. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

I think an 8x10 looks like overkill for a country band. Sure, it sounds good, but what would you think if a country guitar picker brought a full Marshall stack---even if he played tastefully, it's out of place.

Something less ostentatious might be just fine. As for the size of the driver, I've played country with 2x10s or 1x12s. Nobody ever complained that the speaker was the wrong size, as long as my tone was smooth, and the parts I played fit the music.

If you went ahead and started some tapping or slapping, all the 15s in the world won't help.