Ampeg SVT Vintage 1970 RED?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Hollywoodvi, Jul 17, 2020.

1. Hollywoodvi

Hollywoodvi

Jul 1, 2020
    This is a 1970’s Ampeg SVT and Cab. I’m going to look at it this coming Monday... Does anyone know if this RED version was a Ampeg thing? Or did someone have it recovered somewhere along the line? They are asking $2,500... that seems fair for a vintage Ampeg SVT setup... right? As long is it was taken care of... but what’s with the RED? Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

It was originally destined to be shipped to Russia. :)

nilorius, Frontporch and kobass like this.
  3. Vintage-Blue

Vintage-Blue Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 13, 2008
    Cincinnati, OH
    Owner, Vintage Blue (repro cabinets)
    I don’t know about back in the ‘70s but in the late ‘90s Ampeg did some custom red and white SVTs.
    1163A96D-B061-481D-8308-73967232AEB3.jpeg

Arthur U. Poon likes this.
  4. BogeyBass

BogeyBass Inactive

Sep 14, 2010
    It's torn to hell and ugly.

I like torn up old 810 cabinets too.
    Tells a story.

But
    I wouldn't touch that thing

No expert but I think someone recovered it.

Admiral Akbar likes this.
  5. No idea if it's original, but that's badass!

6. ShaunNecro

ShaunNecro

Aug 1, 2007
    Houston, TX
    I've heard that Ampeg would do custom tolex colors from the factory during the 70's, and there are a few examples of other colors being used, so I don't think it's out of the question, although I have not seen a red one. All I know is that those 810 cabs are a huge hassle to retolex, so the likelihood of it being factory custom to me is higher.

I'll also say $2500 seems too high to me. You can get an SVT in that condition for $1500 any day off of reverb, and 810 cabs don't go for much more than $3-500 used, and that's from the 70's to now.

GregC likes this.
  7. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    Agree on the price. Without knowing the service history or the amp, condition of the speakers, tubes, etc, the price seems high. It’s a late 70s SVT which you can find for more reasonable prices. Unless it’s had a recap and other maintenance work I would expect added costs in the future. If they can’t prove it’s a factory tolex option then I would knock more off the price assuming it’s non original.

8. davelowell2

davelowell2 Uhh... FaFaFooey is BaBaBooey... Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2006
    NY
    GregC likes this.
  9. Old Fart

Old Fart

Mar 11, 2011
    If that is the setup on the Seattle CL listing, then it's actually more beat up than those two pictures show. i though, and still think, it is over-priced. By upwards of a thousand dollars, arguably. The cabinet my have issues beyond aesthetics. Magnavox-era SVTs are nice, but many of them are not in fully-tuned, race-ready condition. Suggestion: Show the rest of the pics to these TalkBass folks. Let them give you the benefit of their experience. Also, ask the seller if there is any repair/maintenance paperwork on the head.

TN WOODMAN likes this.
  10. Give Mona a call in Sammy Hagar ‘s Waboritas, she may have owned it.

11. kentiki

kentiki

May 14, 2008
    My buddy has a white svt. His was owned by a famous bass player and originally was owned by Rod Stewart. A number of 70s era rockers had white svt and cabs along with matching marshals for the guitarists.

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 24, 2021