Ampeg SVT vintage alnico CTS speakers vs Eminence Legend reïssue bass speakers

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Europebass, Apr 22, 2018.

1. Europebass

Europebass

Mar 22, 2010
    Just for anyone who's interested. I made a comparison between the old and the new and I share my experiences about other vintage and replacement SVT speakers as well. Plus I give a short overview of the historie of the SVT cabinets and speakers as collected here on Talkbass and on Ebay the last couple of years. Hope you like it.

Sinest, BadExample, Wasnex and 5 others like this.
  2. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast

Aug 7, 2008
    Thank you for documenting your findings. Very interesting.

Europebass likes this.
  3. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

Agreed! Thanks indeed.

A few years ago I put flats on my ancient Precision for the first time. it had no strings installed when I first got it in January 1968. I installed Rotosound WW strings. I used them continuously until the fret wear became too much and dressing would not be possible many more times. I switched to GHS Bright flats.

I found the Flats to be dull and lifeless. I ripped them off and went back to the GHS strings.

mikeyvr6 and Europebass like this.
  4. davelowell2

davelowell2 Uhh... FaFaFooey is BaBaBooey... Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2006
    NY
    Very nice, Jasper @Europebass! As a vintage SVT fan these are all great flavors. Thanks!

Europebass and bobyoung53 like this.
  5. bobyoung53

bobyoung53 Supporting Member

Ever try La Bella Deep talkin' flats? I have regular gauge (45-105) on my Precision and it plays and sounds great, punchy as hell.

Europebass and cerrem like this.
  6. bobyoung53

Very good video, I too use SVT's with the old flatback cabs. I left a blurb on your video on youtube about them. I think your comments were pretty accurate and reflected what i heard also.

Europebass likes this.
  7. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    Great comparison. I have never had the pleasure of playing the CTS alnicos but your comments in the video tracked exactly with what I heard in the recordings...and I was expecting the CTS to be brighter based upon what I have read.

Europebass likes this.
  8. Bass 45

Bass 45

Jun 23, 2011
    Tempe, Arizona
    Nice video. I think my kitchen table made an appearance-in a photo with a cts speaker :)

anderbass likes this.
  9. Europebass

Europebass

Mar 22, 2010
    Ha ha, so was it one of your pictures I stole?

Last edited: Apr 24, 2018
  10. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

No I have not. I can’t remember what the Flats were that I installed but The Precision doesn’t get any play time as I gig with one or more of my sixes. The fretless get’s most of the play time. :)

Last edited: Apr 24, 2018
    bobyoung53 likes this.
  11. Europebass

Europebass

Mar 22, 2010
    It's not like an added tweeter or something, but the highs ar just more natural. With the EH speakers and with Ampeg cabinets around 2000 it sounded like there was something wrong with the soldering or with the connectors. It's already better with the Eminence Legends and the 70-ies ceramics and the alnicos just have a naturall roll off the highs. Guitar for instance sounds good through those speakers too.

12. bobyoung53

My flatbacks are pretty bright, I better check them though they could be the later square magnets speakers now that i think of it.

13. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    I didn't listen to your comments, but I listened to the recorded tracks. Cool comparo. The Legends came off better in your demo than I've heard from other demos, but in every single case, I greatly preferred the CTS's.

I've heard them be much brighter. I suspect this is more the function of Jasper's tastes rather than the speakers themselves.

Europebass and Wasnex like this.
  14. Europebass

Europebass

Mar 22, 2010
    Thanks! I do like the CTS speakers better, but often in live situations they tend to get lost due to bad acoustics or big subwoofers for instance and than the Legends are real life savers.

I hope including the clips with the Jazzbass with roundwounds made the whole comparison a bit more 21st century so to speak.

JimmyM likes this.
  15. kringle77

kringle77 Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    The comparison of how the cts and legends work in a live mix mirrors what I've experienced between ampeg 8x10 cabs and the bergantino nv610. I kind of prefer the ampeg tone but, the berg cuts through better in a mix. Thanks for the comparison video!

shoot-r and Europebass like this.
  16. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 19, 2022