Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg SVT vintage

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jacove, Nov 1, 2005.

1. jacove

jacove

Apr 12, 2003
    Aalborg, Denmark
    Hi,

any europeans who own a vintage Ampeg SVT head? 1969-73 era. I have never seen such a head here in Denmark, and I was wondering if they are easy to get or can the vintage US models be changed in to european standards. :meh:

2. Well you see them on ebay in the UK every couple of months, well, usually a couple a month, so im guessing they can be changed to EU standards (without having to totally replace the mains transformer)

3. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    I don't think there are very many export types of the early vintage units. Most are 120V 60 Hz only (actually 117V 60 Hz). Just about any early SVT that comes from the US will not be changeable internally.

AFAIK, somewhere around 1975, when the SVT/V9 chassis came out, the transformers were revised to be changeable.

4. Ah right, ok, the ones ive seen must have had a new mains transformer then, either that or the sellers are chancing it, ouch, that must have been expensive, especially back in the day :S

5. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    Someone who is really into the vintage units may know better, actually.

But, the early schematics show single primary type transformers, and later ones show the dual primary, which would be re-wirable to EC voltages.

6. jacove

jacove

Apr 12, 2003
    Aalborg, Denmark
    So what I hear you say is that it will be hard to get an early Ampeg here in Europe, and it will be very expensive to change the US models...how much do you think it will cost?

7. Rickenbackerman

Rickenbackerman

Apr 17, 2001
    Laurel MD
    Jerrold, where is the skit that shows dual primaries on the PT? I have the V9/SVT skit and it shows single primaries.

8. You'd probably be best looking for one already in the EU :)

9. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    The most accessible one is actually in the Aspen Pittman tube amp book (the groove tubes guy). What's the date on yours?