1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

Ampeg SVT VR + 610 HLF Problem

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by PeachPrism, Sep 22, 2017.

1. PeachPrism

PeachPrism

Sep 22, 2017
    I recently bought an SVT VR to use with my 610 HLF cab. Right from the first use, I hear a distorted BLAAT sound whenever I hit the strings hard and let it ring, or when I turn the amp to above 9 o clock. My ears and my eyes seems to think its the top left speaker in the cabinet, but I cant be sure if it's a problem with the amp, the cabinet, or the instrument (american standard p bass).

The cab is a recent acquisition as well. However, I have used a friend's Acoustic 300W amp with the cabinet for some shows a few months ago with no problems.

Anyone have some insight for what it may be and what the best way to identify it is?

2. If you think it's one of the speakers, get a friend and a cardboard tube from a roll of paper towels, and earplugs of course.
    Have him hold the tube centered on each speaker, close up, to better isolate the culprit.
    If one sounds nastier than the rest, you might be on your way to solving the problem.

floridagatorfan likes this.
  3. PeachPrism

PeachPrism

Sep 22, 2017
    Update: it was the tubes. Got them replaced and it sounds like a dream.

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 15, 2021